Mariner Oil Problems

steveo555

Cadet
Hello all, Got rid of my Johnson for a Mariner. I am unsure of the model and year. It says 60 hp oil injection on the side but I cannot for the life of me find the oil tank or the cable for a remote tank?! Is my outboard a four stoke? The serial number is a belgian one 9498079. Does this mean anything to anyone. Just took her our today and she ran fine on neat four star gas. Please help I dont want to bugger me engine. Thanks in advance.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: Mariner Oil Problems

The oil injection tank should be on the starboard side of the motor if it is a 2 stroke 3cyl model.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

On a 2 stroke motor if there is no oil reservior, you'll have to premix the petrol with a TC-W3 rated 2 cycle outboard oil at 50:1 ratio

steveo555

Cadet

So where does the oil injection bit come in if it has no separate oil tank? Is there any way of identifying the engine by its serial number 9498079?

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By not knowing the basic information about your motor you are flirting with disaster.<br />It could be that the oil tank was removed because the previous owner liked and trusted premix.<br />If its a newer model it could be a four stroke.<br />It could have a replacement cowl with decals that are not applicable.<br />Dont guess anything. Use the serial number to obtain all available information before you start the motor again. Older members or a moderator can give you the link to the website with all the Mariner serial numbers. Or try finding it trough the search facility but thats one time consuming effort if you dont know what keywords to use.<br />D

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also a picture will help the members trying to help you.<br />D