Mariner motor problem

Ranger390v

Recruit
I have a 1986 Mariner 200HP outboard motor. Last September my oil injection quit working, so I began premixing in one fuel tank with the hopes of eventually getting this fixed. Anyway, in October I was running WOT when I lost about 300-400 rpms and some speed. I slowed down but could not detect a problem at the time. Being about 7 miles from the ramp and no one else around I continued at moderate speed. During the remainder of the trip my engine temperature gauge dropped to 140 degrees, of which 200 is normal at WOT and 170 at lesser running speeds. The water pressure was high as usual. At the ramp the engine idled a little rough (temp dropped to 110 degrees) which I thought was due to the cool engine temp.<br /> <br />At home, a compression test of each cylinder showed all at 120psi except No.2 (top port cyl.) showed 90 psi. I removed that head to find the head gasket had leaked. The fire ring had a small crack leading to the gasket which was missing in that area, allowing water to enter the cylinder. The head of No.2 was darn near spotless compared to 4 and 6 which had a slight oil burn marks. I guess that steam cleaning really works. All the piston tops were coffee colored, no scaling and very clean, I could still read the word 'top' on the piston.<br /> <br />The head gasket was replaced, compression was better, about 100psi. I ran the boat at moderate throttle, but am still uncomfortable with it. The bad cylinder wall looked slightly scored compared to the other two on that side, nothing I could feel with my finger though. All piston tops are dark brown with no flaking or damage that I can see.<br /> <br />This model block has the chrome cylinder walls. The engine has only been run twice since, both times to winterize it.<br /> <br />I have spoke to several people, some say not to run it as that cylinder could stick causing more damage. One mechanic even said to run it, that it would only make a small difference in performance. $4500 for a new block is not an option at this time. Even so, I would rather put that much money plus labor into a new engine with a warranty. Plus I probably need reeds, motor mounts, etc.<br /> <br />Would it hurt to run this engine till it really dies?<br /><br />Thanks..................................

Fitch

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Mariner motor problem

If you plan on throwing it a way at the end it doesn't matter. But you might be able to just get one piston install if the cylinder wall isn't too bad as a get me buy fix for a year or so.

corm

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Mariner motor problem

Hi Ranger Runner,<br />If it were mine I would put a new piston in num 2 if the crome is still on the lower wall. Other wise I would put a steel sleve in it and run it as long as you want to.<br /><br />corm