Mariner 9.9 non start

I recently acquired an old(ish) mariner 9.9HP 2stroke. after cleaning it up a bit and greasing various parts I started it up ran OK apart from the idle isn't good (dies out) shifted it into forward and reverse. pumps water fine.
I decided to go and put it on my little boat:D it was running and revving in neutral nicely the it was time to start off, it ran in gear for about 4 Seconds then just died
tried to start it. . . didn't start and still doesn't iv tried all the things that i can think of while its still down there.
i think i need to take it into the shop fork out some money :(

wow what a load of drivel.

cheers
Theo.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Mariner 9.9 non start

Go to the Engine FAQs, Theo. Do the "Outboard won't start" troubleshooting. Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the quick reply, I think it may be the fuel pump or something to do with the plugs/ignition, il buy some new plugs tomorow and try to find a manual
it seems to be making a strange sucking noise after I pull it which is why i think it may be the fuel pump ?

sorry im verry new to outboards.

cheers
Theo.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do the troubleshooting, Theo. What you find will guide us to the next step. Guessing is not going to fix your engine.