Mariner 70, 3 cyl crangking but not starting.

johnkbl

Cadet
Hi!

I received as a gift a mariner 3 cyl, 70 Hp. Serial number starts with 60. It is cranking but not starting.

Engine was stuck, I took out the sparks, and put some gasoline in each cylinder. After a couple of days, the engine got unstuck. A lot of dirt came out from the third cylinder. It seems the third cylinder was flooded.

Then, I replaced the stator and a ignition coil. Also, took out the carburators, and cleaned them. Carburators seem to be clean, but as I am not an experienced mechanic, I am not sure about this.

Now, this engine cranks but does not start. I have checked this:

Flywheel is aligned with timing mark (0.464 inches). I have repeated several times the timing set procedure, and everything seems to be ok.
Checked sparks, and seem to be fine. I have sparks on each of the 3 cylinders.
Double checked the stator connection using the wiring diagram, and everything is ok.
I can see the only cylinder is burning gas is the No. 1, because if I do not screw tight the spark plug, while cranking, I can see smoke coming out from the base of the screw of the plug, hear the explosion and at exactly the same time, smoke comes out from the exhaust. The explosion is not continuous, I mean, the explosion appears after every 2 or 3 turns of the flywheel.
I have put gasoline on each of the cylinders then cranked, and there is nothing different.

Is there something else I can check?
Have not checked this:
Fuel pump.
How can I make sure both carburators are working fine and gas is flowing to the cylinders?

Thanks for your help!!