Mariner 50 hp not up to par

srussell28

Seaman
Hello, I'm new to boating. Just got a 82 Fishin' Ski Barge with a Mariner 50 hp. I've been having a problem with the WOT. Took the boat out yesterday full tank of gas, ran good at 3/4 , not great. When the tank got below 1/2 the primer ball started getting flat and cut off. The boat had not been used in over a year. Got the manual, change the plugs, impeller, new gas mixed 50:1. Could get it started, ran good trolling, but when at WOT doesn't seen like it goes as fast as it should. Today I was gong to change the Primer ball and the gas tank. I had a few people tell me to clean the carb with cleaner, but why? it was fine with the full tankof gas? Thanks for any help you can send my way.

jimalsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mariner 50 hp not up to par

Before you buy a primer bulb and tank check and see if the vent on the tank is open.

srussell28

Seaman

Had the tank vent was open. I changed the tank and primer bulb and line to the engine. Ran great

srussell28

Seaman

for 30 minutes out of the water. When I drove to the boat ramp put it in the water was hard to start, finally started went 100 yards put it in gear cut off and would not start back up. Had a few people come by to try and start it, would not start. Turns over fine, just doesnt start. Had to be pulled in. One man told me to check the plugs to see if they had oil. They were black, all 4. These plus were new as of last week. This is an 82 mariner 50 hp, Im using the L78V plugs. I had new 93 octain gas mixed 50:1. Were else should I look?

srussell28

Seaman

today day to trouble shoot. I put the old gas tank and lines back in. The old plugs, and now it will not start at all. The bulb is tight, I can see gas getting into the fuel filter. pLEASE HELP.

srussell28

Seaman

Here is my model number Serial Number: 0A195398 Model Number: 7050625 was told it a 82

srussell28

Seaman

changed the plugs again, changed the tank to the new one. With the old tank and the new tank I am lossing air pressure to the ball. Let it sit for a few minutes and it loses air. I check the lines going to the fuel filter, I can see it fill up as I pump it, can't see any gas leaking anywhere in the engine. Should I pull the Carb now>? and does this model have a fuel pmump? thanks