Mariner 115 voltage regulator/rectifier help

bbalcer

Seaman
I've been getting intermittent high readings on tach. The motor is a 1996 Mariner 115, WOT should be 5200...but sometimes it will read 6800 with the engine sounding no different. Also, I noticed that the voltage reading on the gauge was maxed at 18 VDC when the erroneous tach reading was occuring. I can usually get the problem to clear by shutting the ignition down for a second and then ensuring the tach goes to 0 when the ignition is on, prior to starting. I did the static check on the regulator/rectifier and found that 3 of the four tests were out of limits (not a bunch though). My question is where can I get another regulator/rectifier if not from a dealer? Also, are there any other tests I can do to make sure the culprit of the problem is indeed the regulator/rectifier?

emckelvy

Commander
Re: Mariner 115 voltage regulator/rectifier help

Sierra Marine and CDI (to name a couple) offer aftermarket replacements. Some of them may be slightly different in configuration, requiring you to fab up a mounting plate. I've seen some of the Merc kits with the upgraded reg/rect that had the plate with.<br /><br />Your '96 may be new enough to already have the upgraded unit and it'll plug right in.<br /><br />Sure sounds like your problem, the tach troubles and lack of voltage control both point in that direction.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Mariner 115 voltage regulator/rectifier help

A wire brush and a pair of pliers might just save you from replacing that. When they go, they typically go. Not much intermittent stuff. Clean your battery connections with the wire brush and snug the wingnuts with the pliers. Most regulator/rectifier failures are due to bad battery connections. If yours is intermittent, it hasn't failed yet. It could very well be nothing more than loose or corroded battery connections. Try that first.<br /><br />It really shouldn't affect your motor's running quality, though. The charging circuit is completely separate from the ignition circuit. About the only thing shared is ground. As long as you're at it, check those. Bad grounds do strange things. Could be any of them.