Marine Vs. Standard Block, Differences

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

I am new to the boating world but am looking forward to getting into a new and vast world of knowledge. I have a simple question as to Marine inboards. With the exception of the obvious components like heat exchanger, exhaust, and bell housings; what is keeping someone from taking...say a 4.3L chevy Vortec out of an S-10 and retrofitting it with all the marine add-ons.
They way I understand cooling I guess is pretty elementary...but again I am new so I guess I should not be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks in advance!

-DrCox

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Marine Vs. Standard Block, Differences

Apart from different cam profile and different pistons, the water pump impeller is cast brass, not pressed steel, and the freeze plugs are either brass or stainless, not mild steel. This doesn't even start on ignition, charging, starting or fuel systems....

Chris.........

DrCox

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And this is why you are a captain :)

Thanks achris!

-DrCox

Uraijit

Banned

Hello,

I am new to the boating world but am looking forward to getting into a new and vast world of knowledge. I have a simple question as to Marine inboards. With the exception of the obvious components like heat exchanger, exhaust, and bell housings; what is keeping someone from taking...say a 4.3L chevy Vortec out of an S-10 and retrofitting it with all the marine add-ons.
They way I understand cooling I guess is pretty elementary...but again I am new so I guess I should not be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks in advance!

-DrCox

Like others have said, the only real difference between a truck 4.3 and a marine 4.3, is the head gaskets, and the brass freeze plugs.

You can get a Fel-Pro composite head gasket from autozone for $15, and the freeze plugs for $10-$15. Summit carries them; as well as complete Fel-pro gasket sets, for under $50, if you're looking to do a re-ring on the block before dropping it in.

I did exactly that with a salvage yard 350, and put under $200 into the engine and rebuild parts.

Summit Racing is a great source. If you MUST have a "marine" cam, rather than your truck cam, they have those as well, for about $100-$150.

You want to make sure that the alternator, starter, distributor, water pump, and Carb are all marine rated. Although, a lot of the "heavy duty" water pumps they're selling these days come with ceramic seals, etc. So you could get away with a heavy duty pump, if you're running it in fresh water.

You mentioned a "heat exchanger" does this mean you have a closed cooling system? If so, don't worry about the water pump at all.

Good luck to ya.