marine sealant ?

geofthro

Seaman
I was about to join a powerhead off a 70 mercury outboad back together again when wondering if the two sealing strips is all that is required to seal the two piece's back together again once torqued to specification! Or first should i use some type of gasket compound between the to surfaces before joining them? If so whats a good sealant? Thanks.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: marine sealant ?

My memory is going for the life of me I cant remember the number for the red loctite that Mercury recommends, Its thick & hard to squeeze out of the tube when cold. Hope one of the young techy's comes up with the number for you.

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Walked out to the shop ahd grabbed an old tube # thing was driving me nuts thought I had alzhimers, No # just Loctite Master Gasket (merc p/n 92-12564-1)

Kiekhaeferscurse

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yikes Geofthro are you just installing the power head to the base, If thats all your doing just disregard L.M.G and use grease on the gasket. Use Loctite or other on engine halfs.<br />I'm old and ate to much turkey cant think straight

geofthro

Seaman

Thanks for the replys! Hey blackanchor i do have a manual and always refer to it but i should of stuck to my fathers adivce when i was growing up which was " Never lend ya tools out to anyone as they all don't come back like you lent them!". But! Being a manual i thought whats the worst could happen! Well the worst happened! It came back with a pint of oil in it and happens to be over the relvant pages i need the most! Anyways his next purchase is two new manuals and a case of beer! Hey kiekhaeferscurse eating too much turkey sounds very familiar to me to! Im about to use Evinrude,Johnson gasket sealing compound - That never hardens or dries outs and withstands heat and pressure! I was given it and yer the label sounds good but i'd hate to have to do it over again.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Don't use that gasket sealing compound on the engine halves,but on the powerhead to base gasket.The engine halves can use OMC/BRP Gelseal II<br /><br />DHP