Marine repair facilities

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class
So my family and I all take our boats to a marine repair facility locally. They have been around since the 50's and do great work for a good price. Problem is the time, I dropped my boat off monday and when I talked to them tuesday they said they would call me later in the day or on wednesday. I waited until 4 pm thursday and gave a call to check on it and I was told I would get a call back shortly. Still no call back as of now, should I call again? Does anyone else experience this?

tcgobucks

Seaman
Re: Marine repair facilities

unfortunately it's July in the Midwest....and every guy with a boat needs his boat back "today". There is a huge shortage of quality boat repair shops...and fortunately for the shops, there is no shortage of boats needing repair. I wouldn't have a problem calling them again....I'm guessing you'll get the "geez, we're swamped" line from them. What did it look like when you dropped your boat off? If there are 50 other boats there then I'm guessing they are truly busy....if not, maybe you're getting the runaround

shrew

Lieutenant

This is not only common, I would say it is the standard in the marine industry. Sure, there are boat yards and mobile mechanics that will show up with short notice and on time, do the work and have you back on the water, but this is very rare.

Most people think of the electrician, plumber or local automotive shop when they think of marine mechanics. The reality is, there are significantly more electricians, plumbers and automotive shops per capita/geographic radius than there are marine mechanics. It's a paradox, because there are not nearly the number of boats in a geograhic region as there are cars and indoor plumbing. It you had as many marine mechanics as auto mechanics in a geograhic area, none of them would survive as there is simply not enough business to go around.
On top of that they are somewhat seasonal. Fall and winter nobody is getting boat work done. Spring people are ramping up for the season and in summer we all want our stuff working NOW so we can get on the water.

As a result this time of year, repairs can take weeks on a boat when it would take hours or days with a car. We simply can't expect that we're going to drop our boat off today and pick it up tomorrow like we do with our auto mechanics.

Also keep in mind that many marine mechanics triage issues for their customer's. I've been waiting for 3 months for my mechanic to install a new shifter/throttle and cable. The reason he hasn't been by is simple, the one I have now works. However, when I called him and said I was overheating and taking on water at the same time, he met me at my slip within 20 min. of me calling him. The guy who's head, sanitation line and holding tank he was working on wasn't happy, but my problem trumped his so he responded to the guy with teh biggest issue.
Many work in a similar manner, they assess which issue is keeping a boat out of the water and prioritize accordingly. The fact is these guys have more work during the summer season than there is hours in the day, but they have to bank the money during the lean months when there is no work. They try to make everyone happy, but end up upsetting someone along the way. I have yet to find a yard or mobile mechanic that is any different.

this time of year everyone screams when they can't boat. I suspect this service manager is simply afraid to give you bad news for fear you will be the next in a conga line of screaming customers. I admit the professional thing to do is for him to take his lumps and provide customer service by at least acknowledging you even if that means getting an earful. I admit that my mechanic does take my calls, calls me back and is honest with me, even if it is not what I want to hear.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I am going to call again on my lunch, it sucks because they told me it would be in by Wednesday

robert graham

Admiral

That's the reason a lot of folks will buy a manual for their motor and try to learn to do most of the maintenance/repairs themselves. I've found that Preventive maintenance is much better, easier and cheaper than repairs. Good Luck!

Brewman61

Ensign

I'd call them- after all they did make promises to call you back and apparently didn't follow thru. Most likely they are very busy, but at the very least they should call when they say they will. Even if the news is that they haven't gotten to you yet.
If they are overwhelmed with business they should inform their customers of this- it will go a long way toward keeping expectations realistic.
If they are local, maybe you could even swing by the shop if it's not too inconvenient.

I've been waiting for a landscaper to do some work on my yard for a month now- but it's been so rainy he's all backed up. But he's very good about calling me, and I don't want a rush job. I'd probably be less understanding if he wasn't so good at calling me.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

I took mine in on Monday for a mid season check and oil change. It was done on tuesday and picked up on Wednesday. I'm in the midwest. Check around and talk to a handful of shops, it will give you options. I found a new mechanic last year to winterize my boat and do the drive service. Boat runs tip top. I will not use the local marina where my boat is at because it takes him two weeks to do an oil change. But these guys are correct, some of the marinas just cant keep up right now. We are half way through the boating season and a lot of the breakdowns are happening now.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is no different than trying to find something popular, cheap, and easy at Christmas time. What you are experiencing is the funnel effect. More demand with less supply for the need. Smart boaters keep the maintenance up and try to avoid misadventures out on the water, so as to have a full boating season. Any problem is not only costly to the wallet, but in primetime usage. It's the nature of the beast. Either accept this as a given, or learn to fix things on your own. We all seem to have to do a little of both these days due to costs and shortage of good techs.....:)

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I really see 2 issues in the OP. Yes it takes time to do these repairs but alot of these places need to brush up on their customer service skills.

In today's marketplace we are getting very used to having everything we want right now, and pleasantly delivered to us. The companies that can do that win every time. Speaking for myself, I notice companies who don't/can't deliver quickly more now. I expect tham to do what they say and when they don't it's glaringly obvious and frustrating. They over promise and under deliver all the time. Problem is they are successful in spite of themselves and don't realize how easy it would be to supplant them with another marine delaer of the same competency who did a better job at managing customer expectations.

maharg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I really see 2 issues in the OP. Yes it takes time to do these repairs but alot of these places need to brush up on their customer service skills.
I am aware on the repair times, I am waiting on the call with the cost. They were supposed to call with a total price before starting work.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

I am aware on the repair times, I am waiting on the call with the cost. They were supposed to call with a total price before starting work.

I'm in agreement with you. These types of things are handled poorly by almost every marine service place I've dealt with.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

the attitude of marine facilities has forced me to do my own maintenance and repairs...