Marine parts or not

Is it ok to just go to the local Autozone and get a water pump for my 4.3l or do i have to get a "Marine" water pump @ a premium price? :confused:
Also looking to rebuild my Rochester carb, any good links to where to get a rebuild kit?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Marine parts or not

Is it ok to just go to the local Autozone and get a water pump for my 4.3l or do i have to get a "Marine" water pump @ a premium price? :confused:
Also looking to rebuild my Rochester carb, any good links to where to get a rebuild kit?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... An automotive circulatin' water pump has a stamped steel impeller, which will rust off,....

Marine circulatin' water pumps has a cast iron, or bronze impeller, which won't rust off,...

Yer choice,...

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I see it just a little differently. It would be on how easy it is to change the water pump and what the cost was for each version. If the standard automotive water pump was $40 dollars and a marine pump was $100 dollars, I would consider just how easy it would be to actually change it. If it was real easy to change, I'd go for the auto type pump. You could buy two auto pumps and still have money left over. I also would totally depend if the boat was used in salt water or fresh. That would work into my decision as well. I don't see the normal auto pump impeller being my only deciding factor. How long would it take to seriously corrode and become unusable? Just my warped thinking though...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Marine water pumps also have different seals.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

In salt water about 2 years if you are lucky. In fresh it depends on the mineral content. All I can say is that my OE marine one lasted 22 years and at least half of that was salt water use. If it failed and overheated the engine, what have you saved? Do it once and do it right

If you think marine I/O parts are at a premium price you should price outboard parts.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Also an automotive pump lives its life in coolant. Even in fresh water, that water pump won't have the corrosion preventers that coolant has.

wrench 3

Commander

The marine 4.3l pump also has a stainless steal back plate. If this leaks you get water in the boat.
If you can get the number off of your carburetor, an auto supply store should be able to get the proper rebuild kit for you. The Rochester 4brl has the numbers stamped into the left rear corner running vertically.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

The marine 4.3l pump also has a stainless steal back plate. If this leaks you get water in the boat.
If you can get the number off of your carburetor, an auto supply store should be able to get the proper rebuild kit for you. The Rochester 4brl has the numbers stamped into the left rear corner running vertically.

I got bit on a carb kit from the auto store. I did the rebuild with the auto store kit and it didn't idle correctly and it seemed like the accelerator pump was slow. Hesitated a bit out fo the hole. After verifying every thing I did and deciding it was correct I went to a marine dealer and picked up a kit there. Put that kit on and the engine ran perfectly. The only difference I could see between the two was the top bowl gasket and the accelerator pump rubber completely covered the plunger. The marine carb kit was around $40 bucks verses $12 from the auto store. A marine dealer told me auto water pumps rely on the coolant for some lubrication and the bearings in a marine pump don't. Don't know if it is true but he was the same guy that told me to try a marine carb kit because they were different that auto kits.

wrench 3

Commander

Most of the marine carb kits are made by the same companies as the automotive. The auto store should have been able to get the correct kit from their suppliers. Maybe they tried to cut corners.

Bondo

Staff member

Most of the marine carb kits are made by the same companies as the automotive. The auto store should have been able to get the correct kit from their suppliers. Maybe they tried to cut corners.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... It ain't 'bout where yer standin',....

It's 'bout the right Part Number bein' ordered,....

Many Auto Parts supply houses carry, or can get Marine parts,...
Napa carries the Sierra line,...

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I always use marine parts. As someone else stated: "do it right, do it once." If you're not willing to spend the little bit extra on marine parts, you really have no business boating. It's not fair for you to expect me to put myself or my guests or my boat at risk towing you in because you wanted to save a few bucks.:mad:

Fun Times

Staff member

I see it just a little differently. It would be on how easy it is to change the water pump and what the cost was for each version. If the standard automotive water pump was $40 dollars and a marine pump was $100 dollars, I would consider just how easy it would be to actually change it. If it was real easy to change, I'd go for the auto type pump. You could buy two auto pumps and still have money left over. I also would totally depend if the boat was used in salt water or fresh. That would work into my decision as well. I don't see the normal auto pump impeller being my only deciding factor. How long would it take to seriously corrode and become unusable? Just my warped thinking though...
While I see and understand your thought process of the above as a do it yourselfer! But another thought process should be knowing the pump could internally fail to where the naked eye can not see at any giving time with out total teardown, and as time goes by of not knowing how long the auto pump may actually last, there comes a time where your gambling luck could run out while out on an open body of water with no one around to tow you back into port thus stranding you for a while to either the engine cools down long enough to try and go again or hope someone like tazrig comes by before dark.:eek::D

I got bit on a carb kit from the auto store. I did the rebuild with the auto store kit and it didn't idle correctly and it seemed like the accelerator pump was slow. Hesitated a bit out fo the hole. After verifying every thing I did and deciding it was correct I went to a marine dealer and picked up a kit there. Put that kit on and the engine ran perfectly. The only difference I could see between the two was the top bowl gasket and the accelerator pump rubber completely covered the plunger. The marine carb kit was around $40 bucks verses $12 from the auto store. A marine dealer told me auto water pumps rely on the coolant for some lubrication and the bearings in a marine pump don't. Don't know if it is true but he was the same guy that told me to try a marine carb kit because they were different that auto kits.
I can't speak for all carburetors, but there are some models that require you to use the correct accelerator pump spring sometimes called the delayer spring, duration spring or garter spring and in some cases they can be color coordinated for best tension settings for proper fuel amount, etc. As it seems you found out, It's also important to use the correct length and width accelerator pumps thus the reason for finding the correct carburetor kit for the application is important. Preferably a marine carburetor kit is ideal to help eliminate some of the issues mentioned above.;):)

Some accelerator pumps examples of what you went through,
Article Info - Carburetor Parts - Quadrajet Parts.com

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

there comes a time where your gambling luck could run out while out on an open body of water with no one around to tow you back into port thus stranding you for a while to either the engine cools down long enough to try and go again or hope someone like tazrig comes by before dark.:eek::D
Hardly worth saving a few dollars and going with a non marine pump. Penny wise pound foolish.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay all, point(s) made. Since I only boat around on local lakes I haven't thought about open water. It seems you all made some interesting points and I'll remember them if or when I have a need for replacement parts on an I/B motor... I surely wasn't trying to go cheap but thought the outrageous marine prices weren't worth their costs...nothing more. I have only used O/B motors and have never had need for water pumps myself. I have rebuilt many engines in my days, but not one inboard engine yet. If you are going to use marine water pumps for the reasons given, I would most certainly change all the freeze plugs from steel to brass also, and for the same reasons too. Thanks for the education and info...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

An auto water pump is made to run in anti freeze. Even in fresh water it's a problem using one since it won't have the lubricants and anti corrosion found in anti freeze.

Even in fresh water, I would have brass core plugs for the same reasons.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I don't think of the price as outrageous, when my OE pump lasted 22 years, raw water cooled. Outrageous is 15 grand for a new 150 hp outboard. That comes with parts prices that will make you think that inboard prices are dirt cheap. I paid less than $100 for a Sierra marine pump, paid $150 for a Sierra marine starter, 50 bucks for a rebuild kit for the Quadrajet, etc. I have replaced the exhaust manifolds 2 x in salt water use, OK those were expensive (OE units).
The inboard marine engine is adapted from auto use. It was designed to have antifreeze in it that is changed before it gets corrosive. Raw water cooling is corrosive, even in fresh water. If you don't use the right marine parts you will be nickel dimed to death and get sick of it real fast.

MRS

Commander

Fun Times, Thanks for carb link just in time cause I need one Thanks...:joyous:

wrench 3

Commander

I know we started out as a discussion on water pumps, but since we seam to have branched out, Just a reminder to the OP not to use automotive starters, alternators, relays, etc. The marine units are vapor proof (explosion proof). Automotive are not! Also fuel pump and carb assemblies. Marine units are designed not to leak into the boat in the event of a failure.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

I know we started out as a discussion on water pumps, but since we seam to have branched out, Just a reminder to the OP not to use automotive starters, alternators, relays, etc. The marine units are vapor proof (explosion proof). Automotive are not! Also fuel pump and carb assemblies. Marine units are designed not to leak into the boat in the event of a failure.

Very good point. You don't want to end up with this:

Fire.jpeg