marine liability insurance

boatmanwayne

Seaman
Am looking for liability ins. for repair,etc., Thought maybe some of you might have or know of someone with coverage that doesn't cost an arm and two legs for a mom & pop business. Thanks :)

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: marine liability insurance

Are you looking for liability ins, to protect you from lawsuits filed against you, by a customer who's boat/motor you worked on? Any decent independant ins agency should be able to get you a policy. Mine is from Acuity (formerly Heritage) Ins company. Fire and theft-$100,000, and a million in liability for business, smallest policy available, about $680 per year. Contact an agent, be very up front about what you do and what you want covered, let them do the research.

boatmanwayne

Seaman

Roscoe, Thanks, thats exactly what I'm looking for, along with property ins,tools,etc. I will contact them if I can find their ph# or web site.<br /> If anyone else has any leads it would be appreciated in case this doesn't pan out. This is the cheapest I've seen yet and this is in the ball park. Thanks again.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My policy covers my tools/equipment, building, and animals against fire flood and theft. It also covers my liability incase one of my parrots would bite a buyer, visitor, or a child at a school or swapmeet, where I occasionally give demonstrations. They had to put me into a catagory, so I am covered as if I were a retail petshop.<br /><br />I would think there are many companies that would provide coverage for you. Another option might be to get an Personal Umbrella Policy, over and above your renters or homeowners insurance. No coverage for theft with these policies. These are running about $200 a year, but make sure it would cover any "business" liability.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

I'm a big fan of the personal liability umbrella insurance, too. Along with the other regular insurance, it's surprisingly reasonable.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jack, I am with you there. There have been soem judgments especially in the auto arena that have exceeded most people's insurance levels. >$350,000. It was cheaper to get an umbrella policy that protects me in the car, the boat and the house. I was suprised at how reasonable it was.