Marine engine?

liquidasset

Cadet
I have a 1987 liberator that just experienced some freeze damage to the block. In my searching for a new block, Ive come to believe that my engine isnt even a marine engine. The block cast # is 14010207 which is a 1980-1985 truck block. Also the trim pump is screwed into the transom not mounted on the engine. Does anyone know how to tell if I have an auto engine or a true marne engine? All the accessories (alternator, distributor) are marine parts.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Marine engine?

I'm Just Guessing here.... You Don't supply very much Info to go on.......<br /><br />Mercruiser buys engines from GM,+ Adds what they need to.....<br />All the True Marine engines start out as Automotive Castings.......<br />I don't see that you have any Problems......<br />Find 1980 to 1985 Chevy 350 Block,+ Install your parts.......<br /><br />Why would the Trim Pump be mounted on the motor ????

Walt T

Lieutenant

Truck engines were very commonly supplied by GM to marine manufacturers.

liquidasset

Cadet

Heres the rest of the information on the boat and motor. Boat: 1987 Four Winns Liberator 211. The trim pump is screwed into the transom with 3 inch long lag bolts with about 2 inches of washers on them. The Clymer manual pictures look as thought the pump is mounted on the engine. There is a stamp on the front starboard side of the motor that reads V09065WT. The next line is 854996. I researched the first stamp and all I can get is that it was made Flint MI, sept 6th, 1985. If you look throught the GM engine codes it says the WT suffix means that it was made in 1969...? Also there are various items missing such as one of the bolts that holds the motor to the bell housing ect. Where is the pump supposed to be mounted?

liquidasset

Cadet

All the instruments, exhaust manifolds, and controls say that its an OMC engine. But nowhere on the engine does it say OMC. Im not even sure if its supposed to. Ill send you a few pics of that would help.

Danny_Ocean

Seaman

OMC...Outboard Motor Corporation, never manufactured V-8 blocks. OMC, Mercruiser, Crusader and others purchase their blocks & most rotating parts from General Motors (or Ford, or Chrysler), then bolt on their manifolds, etc.<br /><br />My trim pump is mounted exactly as you describe, but instead of lag bolts, it is thru-bolted to the transom.<br /><br />As the previous poster suggested, find an '85 truck* block and bolt your parts on.<br /><br />* It is my understanding the only true "truck" blocks were big-blocks. I could be wrong, however.<br /><br />D. Ocean<br />Pompano Beach, FLA

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

What you are looking for here is a block with 4 bolt mains. A 2 bolt main block will work also if you don't plan on racing it or reving it to the moon. Can find one of these blocks at your local machine shop for a reasonable price. Talk to them about a valve job while you are at it. All you need is a GM 350 All the marine motors are manufactured by gm then converted to boat motors by OMC, Mercruiser ect.<br />Good luck.