marine engine parts vs auto parts

charlow

Cadet
What is the difference in marine parts and automotive parts? I need to overhaul my 140 mercruiser, and need to know what I should get, and where from.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: marine engine parts vs auto parts

The innards are pretty much the same on both....
The cam is a little different.....
It's the stuff that bolts on the outside that makes it "Marine".....
IE: Carb, fuel pump, alternater, distributer, starter......;)

Bondo

Staff member

charlow said:
What is the difference in marine parts and automotive parts? I need to overhaul my 140 mercruiser, and need to know what I should get, and where from.

If you're doing a Rebuild,.. I'd think there will be some Machine work,.....
If so,..... I'd rely on my Machinest to get the Parts he needs.....
Otherwise,... Any commercial Partshouse should be able to sell you the Parts needed......
Considering that the 140hp hasn't been used in Cars,.....
There are no Car parts per se....

I haven't looked,... But I'd bet that you might find what you need,....
Right here at iboats..... Donno.......

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Auto electrical parts big boom followed by fire.

Marine Electrical parts no boom on fire engine just starts no fun.

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]but I like fun....................

rdh2059

Seaman

It is especially important to use marine approved electrical and fuel system components. If the components are not marine approved, the Coast Guard can and will make you return to port. Alternators are notorious for being replaced with auto ones. The problem with these is sparks. The marine ones have integral spark controlling hardware, reducing the likelihood of gasoline vapor ignition (BOOM!). Although marine approved alternators are nearly twice the cost of auto ones, don't skimp... Get the right one...

Rick

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

As for your overhaul of the engine, you should stick with OEM marine replacement parts. The head gasket in a marine kit is designed for saltwater use where the automotive counter part will likely be eaten through in a year. The bearings are industrial grade, you car runs at 2500 RPM, your boat runas at 4500 rpm. The cam is different....lobe heights and duration are custom suited for marine torque curve required. The oil pump is high output. The valves are stainless steel as in a car they are of lesser quality steel. The valve springs are stiffer for the higher rpm the engine turns.

The GM marine engines are made by GM, but are not the same as what is put in a car. GM puts different equipment in marine engines designed just for marine use.

Bondo

Staff member

charlow said:
Where can I get OEM parts from

You can Start,..... Right Here........

The head gasket in a marine kit is designed for saltwater use where the automotive counter part will likely be eaten through in a year.
Well,..... Not Quite..... The Standard Composite Headgaskets o today All have SSteel Fire-rings,.....
No Differences here.....
The bearings are industrial grade,
Nope,.......... Same Parts.......
The oil pump is high output.
Nope,....... Standard Production Marine motors use the Standard Production Chevy Oil Pumps........
The valves are stainless steel as in a car they are of lesser quality steel. The valve springs are stiffer for the higher rpm the engine turns.
Again,...... Nope,..... Standard Production Stuff here too.......
The GM marine engines are made by GM, but are not the same as what is put in a car.
This I Agree with,..........
'cause Merc.,+ Most of the other Marinizers are using Standard Production Truck motors, as the basis for their Standard Production Marine motors...........

Most of the Part #s are interchangable as well...............

Laddies

Banned

Geez Bondo, someone else is getting tired of the BS and I thought I was alone--Bob

flabum

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a lead mechanic for a large marina here in Ft Lauderdale. I have been doing this for 25 years, have Certificates from Mercruiser, Volvo Penta, (old) OMC, Evinrude/Johnson, Yamaha, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel and Mann. Obviously you don't appreciate my experince and knowledge so I shall be gone.

I feel sorry for all the people that you have mis-informed by telling them automotive parts are used in marine engines.They may be trying to save a buck, but by using automotive parts, they will be spending more in the long run and possibly putting themselves and their families in danger.

So long.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Bye....:love:
SBN, I think a "Pink Bunny' is in order.....;)
It never ceases to amaze me how thin-skinned some people can be..........:/

Bondo

Staff member

I'm Sorry Flabum,.....

I've been noticing your posts,+ am Impressed with your Knowledge,......
While I don't have the education or certifications that You do,......
I'm just an Old Wrench who's been looking at the Insides,+ the Dressings that go onto All sorts of motors over the years,...... I can also read a Parts Manual,+ Know when parts are compatible or Not....

You won't find Myself, nor any of the Professionals, posting Anything here that'll compromise the Safety of our fellow boaters Either.....
The Core Group of posters here will go out of our way to make Sure that Marine Rated Parts are used Where They Make a Difference......
But there's Also No Reason to Waste gas money on parts from Mercruiser, or Volvo, or Whomever, if there's No Real reason.......

I still stand by My points made above.......

You're More than Welcome to Hang out with Us,.....
Just be prepared to get Righted, when you post opinion as Fact......
I Know Don loves catching Me when I tend to state something as a Fact, when I'm either Wrong, or it's more Opinion........
He keeps Me Honest,+ has taught me to use words like "Sometimes", "Usually", or maybe "I've found to be True"............:love:

Come on Back,....... We don't Bite,.... d:)

DHPMARINE

Captain

Flabum,

I sure can't tell you what to do,as to this forum,but I'd rather you stayed around.

Maybe just read posts for awhile.

We ain't ALL that bad,

DHP

180shabah

Rear Admiral

I thought there was a "No Whining" policy.

charlow

Cadet

Thanks guys for all your input. Sorry to cause such a stir. So are the marine parts heavy duty parts? Made with more steel.

charlow

Cadet

I guess what I am asking, is what classifies them as marine parts?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I think the consensus here is that they are not considered marine parts until they take 'em out of the GM package & put them into a Mercruiser package or Volvo-Penta package...
More steel?
Well they have to fit into the same place, so I would say, "No".....
The bolt-ons I mentioned above are specifically designed for marine applications.....;)

Bondo

Staff member

charlow said:
Thanks guys for all your input. Sorry to cause such a stir. So are the marine parts heavy duty parts? NO Made with more steel. NO

I guess what I am asking, is what classifies them as marine parts?

Have you read ANY of this thread,..??..??......

What Classifies an internal motor part as Marine,..... Is the BOX it Comes in..........