Marine Engine Depot

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anybody have any experience with these guys? Would love one of their LS/LT engines in my boat some day!

1688332108094.png

1688332087435.png

1688332032823.png

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Decent aftermarket company. Been around for a while

alldodge

Staff member
Only down size I can see is if you need help, your probably stuck with going back to them for help. Don't know of anyone that has the knowledge of a MEFI-7 if there are issues. Make sure to get all the manuals

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Only down size I can see is if you need help, your probably stuck with going back to them for help. Don't know of anyone that has the knowledge of a MEFI-7 if there are issues. Make sure to get all the manuals
I have a scanner :D, but I think you're right. I just don't get why we still run ancient engines with modern electronics bolted to them. For me, I'd rather have mostly old-school with a carb or something fully modern that can take advantage of all of the progress made in the automotive world. The in-between aka Mercruiser 383 MPI is a weird reposer option.

This is all theoretical for now.

alldodge

Staff member
I have a scanner :D, but
Rinda makes the scanner but have not seen where they have it for the MEFI 7

I don't even know what a 7 is, wonder if they took a 4 and have had have upgraded it 3 times over the years

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I just don't get why we still run ancient engines with modern electronics bolted to them.
Because the average boater can't even follow winterizing instructions

something fully modern that can take advantage of all of the progress made in the automotive world.
Wet exhaust and reversion prevent cam profile overlap and force a split between boating and automotive

Auto engines wouldn't survive going up-hill in sand in top gear while pulling a trailer

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Pretty sure diacom with the most recent update will communicate with mefi 7. Can verify later

I think marine power engines have used mefi 6&7 in recent years

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Because the average boater can't even follow winterizing instructions

Wet exhaust and reversion prevent cam profile overlap and force a split between boating and automotive

Auto engines wouldn't survive going up-hill in sand in top gear while pulling a trailer
We have marinized auto engines in our boats...it's just 25 year old tech typically at this point. The new engines are so much easier to winterize and service the basic points as well, with features like single point drains.

You can marinize an LS/LT with a marine cam almost as easily a SBC/BBC, but take advantage of more modern materials and design with much more power in a more efficient, longer lasting package.

That's why the engine in question is so enticing at the price of a 383 Mag MPI...

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The new engines are so much easier to winterize and service the basic points as well, with features like single point drains.
you mean the block buster contraptions. the hoses from the block plug with debris, causing the block to not drain.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I think ilmore is using ls/lt blocks for their motors

They had a pretty cool 7.4L at one point. I've asked a friend/coworker about it numerous times and for some reason the info doesn't sink in

Does my mind have some type of obstacle that doesn't allow me to learn engine mechanicals/manufacturing?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I think ilmore is using ls/lt blocks for their motors
Everyone except Mercruiser has been using LS motors since about 2008. The LT motors since 2014 as they source the longblocks from GMPT

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
you mean the block buster contraptions. the hoses from the block plug with debris, causing the block to not drain.
Yes, the system can fail. That's why I always fill it with antifreeze after until it comes out as well. Engines should really be closed cooled.

drewm3i

Petty Officer 1st Class
Doing top end jobs on raw-water cooled cast iron blocks and heads that ran in fresh water has me convinced that we should be using aluminum blocks and heads with full closed cooling, hence why I'm starting to figure out eventual re-power options. The amount of flaking I've seen and rust that simply stays inside the motor forever is substantial.