Marine carbs are expensive! will aftermarket ones fit??

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I just found a refurb carb for my Mercruiser 170. Hard to find part, and not cheap either. Total was still under 300 bones, but Thats a LOT of gas money that I just spent. <br /><br />So, Im looking thru Jegs (for the 'stang, but thats another saga) and I see a Holley 350 cfm carb. My brain gets a churnin, and I start wondering if that swap would work without too much hassle. The flange seems to be the same, and the lines n all might fit without too much trouble. <br /><br />So, it there anyone out there who has done a carb swab on one of these 3.0s or 3.7s?? was it more hassle than it was worth?? did it run right??<br /><br />K thanx,<br /> Jon.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Marine carbs are expensive! will aftermarket ones fit??

They will work but they are, first and foremost, unsafe and they are illegal to use in a marine application.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just make sure it's a marine carb. Marine carbs are designed to keep float and float level leaks along with some fuel pump problems inside the engine and not fill the bilge with raw gas. It's a safety thing.

Ralph 123

Captain

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Ralph:<br /> you can buy an Edelbrock Marine Performer 4bbl 600 cfm Carb (model #1409) from Jegs for $295<br /><br /> http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=691&prmenbr=361 <br /><br /><br />See the last 2 carbs on this page:<br /> http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/carbs_acc/performer.shtml <br /><br />I've used them for about 4 seasons on my 350s and lots of others here have had good results with them.
Why would a 750 cfm cost less than a 600. You'd think that 600's would sell 10 to one resulting in a lower volume price.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Good grief guys, 88 basiclly has a 470 Mercruiser which is a 4 cyl engine with a 2bbl carb.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

they didnt make many but merc did make a few with the 4 barrel. with gas the price that it is.....

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Don S:<br /> Good grief guys, 88 basiclly has a 470 Mercruiser which is a 4 cyl engine with a 2bbl carb.
Awwww c'mon Don! Backyard ingenuity! Where's that "Tim Taylor" spirit.... MORE POWER! Ruff, rufff, ruff...Snick! ;) :D

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well KaGee, the motor will only swallow so much air. That number being less than 300 CFM at 4600rpms. it wont take any more, so anything bigger is just a waste. And if I go too much bigger, then it wont meter the fuel right, and itll run like crap.<br /><br />Thanx for the info, I love the edelbrocks. But Ill have to find a 4v manifold if I go with them. I need a 2v and do minimal mods to get it to fit.<br /><br />Heres what I found:<br /><br /> http://www.flyingfishcarburetors.com/lookuptable.htm <br /><br />its the one for the Merc 470. I shouldnt ever have to buy another one, but this did inspire the Questions. now I know that I know its illegal, that answers that. :(

KaGee

Admiral

Sorry 88.... I was NOT serious.

8AteEight

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:( .......ah, .....Humor, Ive heard of that concept. :D <br /><br />I thought U were, but I wasnt sure.