Manuals for 5.7

rickasbury

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm sure it's been asked but, someone on another forum said iboats can provide based on my serial number an engine manual?

Fun Times

Staff member
I'm sure it's been asked but, someone on another forum said iboats can provide based on my serial number an engine manual?
Yes with more of your engine information, we’d be able to find the correct service manual and offer guidance for you to either search out online or order from a marine company website of your choosing or eBay, etc..

rickasbury

Yes with more of your engine information, we’d be able to find the correct service manual and offer guidance for you to either search out online or order from a marine company website of your choosing or eBay, etc..
Thanks- that would be very helpful- I bought what I thought would be a good manual- but just to generic. I will get the serial number and get back to you-
Thanks again-

rickasbury

Thank Scott- I looked over the merc stuff- I'm remembering years ago Chiltons was the go to for service manuals which had lots of instructional / troubleshooting info- are the merc manuals for the home warriors trying to figure out a problem or more for a mechanic that's had the training and just needs the specs? I don't need to pull the motor (which I have done!) . I need a manual more for trouble shooting- steps to check and how to check a particular relay- is the merc the way to go or are there other books more what I'm looking for out there you are aware of?
Thank you sir!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you need a factory manual

Chilton, haynes, seloc all make bad manuals (too much wrong information), they cant be used for toilet paper. they make OK knee pads.

however for base engine information. remember, the motor is just a small block chevrolet from a truck with marine stuff bolted to it.

what specific issues are you having?

rickasbury

you need a factory manual

Chilton, haynes, seloc all make bad manuals (too much wrong information), they cant be used for toilet paper. they make OK knee pads.

however for base engine information. remember, the motor is just a small block chevrolet from a truck with marine stuff bolted to it.

what specific issues are you having?
I've been posting in the merc sterndrive section and getting lots of help from @Chris1956 on this and other issues in the past. I really need a good wiring diagram so I can understand a little better the merc engine wiring /along with the help from Chris and others. I probably have very basic electrical issues which is my skill level for sure on electrical. I'll look at the merc service manual a little closer.
Thanks for the help-

rickasbury

Scott- I did get a factory but the link on here I could not get to work- kept rejecting my payment...