Manually lower the lower unit

H2Olog

Cadet
I have a 17th Webco with a Mercury 140 that I'm trying to get in to the garage. This boat has been in storage for the last 5 years. Yes, I know I have a lot of work a head of me before I'm able to start this thing.

Here's my problem, the trailer is sticking out of the garage by 8 inches. If I lower the lower unit will I get the 8 inches I need? If so, can I store the boat like this without doing any damage? Is there anyway to lower it manually, or do I need to put in the battery for power?

Mark

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Manually lower the lower unit

You can try a battery but most of these units have a manual release screw, caution though this can cause it drop on you suddenly and fast so don't have your fingers anywhere they shouldn't be. Unfortunately I don't know exactly where yours would be but it's usually on or around the pump but could be on the cylinder itself too.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you still need more room, after you lower the motor, you might try this:

Check to see if there is room to move the boat forward on the trailer.
Loosen the bolts and slide the winch stand forward.
Tighten it down, then winch the boat forward on the trailer.
You are probably gonna have to move it back sometime, but it will help with the current situation.

gss036

Commander

Check to see if the tilt lock lever is down, then look on the starboard (right) side of the housing, there should be a hole in the frame section with a large screw head. That would be youe manual release screw. Turn it out and it should come down. Might want some there with you to hold onto the lower end so it does not slam down and break something.
"DO NOT OPEN THE FILL HOLE" it may still have pressure on it. That would be a good sign, the seals are still intact and may be ok.