manual tilt/trim

jdstephwacotx

Seaman
I'm not really familiar with tilt and trim other than the following:<br /><br /> 1. Tilt is the button on the throttle that allows you to lift the motor for trailering.<br /><br /> 2. Trim is what you adjust while driving to get optimum plane.<br /><br />If either of these is incorrect please correct me.<br /><br /><br />Now for my question.................<br /><br />My boat has neither. It is an old 1960 Larson runabout with a 76 85HP Merc. I have other motor problems that are being addressed in a separate post.<br /><br />This motor has a set of tabs that get rotated into place in order to keep the motor up for trailering. I believe that this is what would be considered 'tilt'. There is a bolt and a series of holes on the transom that I assume is some sort of manual trim. Until I get the motor running well I figured there wasn't any reason to mess with these. But last night I noticed that there is a clamp that 'grabs' that pin on the motor side and attached to this clamp is a pin that goes down into the lower unitl above hub/prop area?<br /><br />If I manually pull the clamp down like I assume it should do when it is against the pin, it pulls this pin in the lower unit upwards.<br /><br />What is this for? If it is not engaging and not pulling the pin upwards what isn't happening that should be? It almost seems like some sort of safety cut off or something.<br /><br />If there is no tilt motor, what are the two pistons on either side of the motor for? Should they assist and make manually lifting the motor less heavy? If so, they are shot. What kind of money are we talking to replace them?<br /><br />Thanks for any input that you may have.

Clams Canino

Commander
Re: manual tilt/trim

The tabs are tilt locks.<br /><br />The thingie you were playing with was the reverse lock - so it can't tilt up in reverse / it should only be fully engaged in reverse.<br /><br />The pistons are just shocks - in case you hit something below.<br /><br />And yes the series of holes on the transom side are for a manual trim adjustment.<br /><br />-W

Merc805

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hooks also engage in neutral. Only fully released in forward.

jdstephwacotx

Seaman

The only time so far that I was able to get enough throttle response to pull the boat off the trailer the motor was trying to pull out of the water.<br /><br />I guess this means that it is not working properly.<br /><br />I assumed above that the trim pin forced the clamp down and therefore the pin to the lower unit upwards.<br /><br />It sounds like I had it reversed.<br /><br />Are you saying that shifting to reverse (or nuetral) is actuall causing that pin to pull the clamp down on to the trim pin?<br /><br />Other than the motor bouncing around, is it a problem if it doesn't work properly? If not, I have plenty of other tips in my other post to work on this weekend.<br /><br />Thanks guys.

Clams Canino

Commander

The adjustable trim pin outta be a separate pin from the permanant one for the reverse lock arm. Yes the arms outta come down to grab it's pin when ****ing into neutral or reverse. <br /><br />No it's not a problem if it doesn't work right just go slow in reverse.<br /><br />-W