Manual tilt on 40 hp 1990 Johnson stuck

Bill Stock

Cadet
Motor won't budge, stuck in down position on my 1990 40hp johnson. Turning tilt lever back and forth still can't get motor up. How to get at piston as on back of pontoon or ? Thanks

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Manual tilt on 40 hp 1990 Johnson stuck

You may have to remove the engine from the boat to reach the piston. I'm not positive though.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

Bill Stock

Cadet

Hooty Thats what I'm worried about. Ordered manual on motor, Need to get fixed before winter ,as pull up on shore. Thanks Bill

Walker

Captain

That tilt lever is connected to the cylinder release by a short cable with plastic (junk)ends. I bet one of the plastic ends has split. If you can get a hold of the cable it may be possible to pull it enough to release the cylinder. I did it once, a long time ago, and I don't remember exactly how I did it.

Bill Stock

Cadet

Thanks, no info in manual,replacing VRO this weekend and may get to that too. Hard to see as motor on pontoon in water. Will post when fixed.Thanks again, Dead in the water Bill

Bill Stock

Cadet

Walker you were right!Thanks when I stood in water I could see cable and get at it with needle nose pliers, upper plastic ring broke off tilt lever. Thanks again for tip! happy in Wisconsin! Bill :)