manual is confusing me about rebuilding carbs

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
76 135hp rude. <br /><br />i was reading up in my manual about rebuilding my carbs before i tackled this project so i could have a bit of an understanding and i do have to say that im even more confused. <br /><br />one thing i would like to know is what is a screw driver part no. 317002 or equivalent????<br /><br />two is what does it mean when it is talking about removing the jets and "record the number stamped on it for correct reasembly reference." i not understanding what this process is about. <br /><br />is there somewhere a thread that im missing that does a breakdown to walk you through the rebuild process. im sure the manual is good enough and ill understand what everything is when i actually get my hands durty. im just a little confused now.<br /><br />thank for all the help

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: manual is confusing me about rebuilding carbs

Question 1. That is a special screwdriver that has a thinner blade so it will fit down inside to the jet. You can fab one by grinding down a screwdriver. Be careful when removing the jets as not to strip the threads. Sometimes it is necessary to soak them before attempting to remove the jets.<br />Question 2. There should be a number stamped to the bottom of the jet. The number identifies the jet which should be specific to your carb. Most manuals will list the number size for you engine. Since you are in Beaumont altitude shouldnt be a factor.<br /><br />Here is a website that shows a video on how to rebuild the carb. Just click on the marinedr. link in the middle of the page. web page

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Basscat,<br /><br />I tried the link, and all I get is gibberish. Guess I've not downloaded the right program to run the link. Being a computer dummy, what do I need?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got it!<br />Thanks, BassCat.

00000dan

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that was a huge help... thank you soo much... i rebuild my top carb with no problems... <br /><br />i dont know why i thought that a carb rebuild kit would all come in one package... so i only bought one...<br /><br />guy at shop did tell me otherwise... so gotta order another kit to finish it all.<br /><br />thanks alot for the help basscat

stl

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are the freeze plugs that takes out the same thing as welch or expansion plugs. If so it didn't looke like he used any type of sealer on them when he put them back in.