manual interpretation

sonnie

Cadet
what is OMC? from what i can make out, they seem to manufacture a range of lubricants and sealants. is there a generic description of recommended products. ive not heard or seen OMC products on shelves here in SA.<br /><br />are the torque settings for the head bolts really, in my case, 18-20ft.lb. my gut feel, coming from a auto background, this ssems low.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer
Re: manual interpretation

OMC=Outboard Marine Corp. Johnson / Evinrude, now owned by Bombardier, in their manuals they recommend the companies lubes, but you can use any equivalent as long as they meet the specs.for the engine. What engine do you own? On my engine the Cyl head torque values are 180-204 in.-lbs.

sonnie

Cadet

thanks pursuit2150<br /><br />i've just recently aquired these engines. they seemed to have been through a number of owners. i'm trying to gauge the expense of repairs to check feasibility.<br /><br />i've previously postd (last week) on my 'low power evinrudes' and hence the manual.<br /><br />my motors are evinrude 85hp V4 pre-'74. ok, so the torque settings seem correct. another question,<br /><br />from the schematic wiring diagram i see that <br />the thermoswitch operates the choke solenoid. does this mean that the motor will choke off if it overheats?<br /><br />one of my engines overheated due to clogged inlet. it now makes bearing (?) knock noises when operating. (the water obstruction has since been removed.) what damage am i likely to see when stripping down?<br /><br />thanks to all for a great site.

D

DJ

Overheat. More than likely damaged pistons/bores. Possibly wrist pin bearings.

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

The thermoswitch will only idle the engine down after start/warmup, it will not shut the engine down at overheat. You have to do that yourself.Example: whenI start 1200 rpm,at warm-up auto choke idles engine at 800RPM, thats when I leave the slip. Over heat sounds an alarm.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

On those very early V4's there was a second wire to the choke solenoid. It was tied into the temp switch circuit. The idea was that it would close the choke plates part way (partial choke) when warm for easier starting. In reality it flooded the motor. There is a service bulletin out that states to take both wires from the solenoid and put them together on the terminal board to disable the "partial choke" circuit. You want to end up with a situation where the only way the choke solenoid is engaged is if the operator does so from the control.<br /><br />Good luck!