manual downriggers

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class
What do you guys think? <br /><br />I been looking at : <br /><br /> Scotty 1085 strong arm<br /><br /> Walker lakemaster<br /><br /> Penn fathom master 600<br /><br /> Cannon easy troll<br /><br />I have been looking for a deal. Checking Ebay quite often. what do you think would be the best deal? The best deal price wise would be the Walkers (Cabelas) but they have a small reel for a manual!<br /> I would like to know what downrigger would be best. As for electrics price and most of my fishing would be in 30ft or less rule them out.<br /> I never used downriggers before. I dont want to regret a expensive purchase. Thanks for any insight you all may have!!! :confused:

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: manual downriggers

hi oberboat. i have 2 scotty hand cranks on my boat, and to be honest, i dont even know what model they are. they were on the boat when i baught it. but i can tell you they work beautiful. use them all the time and they are problem free. they work very well. the rest i dont know. never used cannon, and my walkers are electrics. but in hand cranks, i swear by the scottys. good luck and good fishing....bob

BN1946

Cadet

I have a pair of Cannon mini-trolls, they work great. The one drawback is the boom length, too short!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

if you are only fishing in 30 feet of water or<br />less, you may want to consider "dipsy divers"<br />instead of downriggers.

wrenchboy

Cadet

I've also been toying with the idea of downriggers. I've been looking at the Cannon Easy-troll. I haven't seen too many deals on e-bay. But in response to the previous post, what are dipsey divers. You've peaked my interest.....thanks

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the replys guys! Keep em comming. One more thing to add, some people told me to buy electric they say they would never go back to manual. My view is they are darn expensive put I been told well worth the price. I been leaning tward Scotty or penn for manuals. <br /> I have used a dipsy diver once didnt really care for them. My area of fishing is the Saint Marys river wich connects lake Superior to lake Huron. The shipping channel in the river veries from 30-40 ft deep. so riggers are the the way to go.

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey oberboat. i fish the st. mary's also, every august for the kings. and u know how bad the boat traffic is out there, so yes the electrics work well there. they can come up at the same time if you get into the shallows by the green can..also great when u have a double header on as they come up while u fight the fish but my hand cranks work well too, u just need 2 or 3 on board to use them effectivly when the fish are hitting hot and heavy. whichever way u go, good luck

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mrcrabbs. it would be much easier for u to go to any sporting goods store, and check on the dipsey divers. it would be much easier than trying to explain in a long post. but a short version is ,they are a round disk that can be set to go left, right, or straight out, they will dive about 30 or more ft. depending on how much line u leave out.they work fairly well once u get used to them, but setting the tension is somewhat critical, so as i said, check em out at your local store, and good luck....bob

jamesa

Cadet

For info on dipsey divers go to luhrjensen.com<br />or to fisherie.com and look there.Look at Ask the Capt. Archives for info on rods,line ,how deep,etc.<br /><br />Jim :rolleyes:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

they have also come out with a bigger one that<br />will dive to 100 feet.

wrenchboy

Cadet

Thanks RC581,JAMESA and Mellowyellow. One of my to-do things this weekend was to hit a couple of the sporting goods stores and get some info..

RC581 hit the nail on the head. In situations where bottom changes are frequent or traffic is heavy, electrics rule. But since we've ruled them out, I've had no problems or complaints with my BigJon Gadabouts. What type of boat would you be rigging up?<br /><br />bsidetroller

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boat I have is a Lund 1650 Fisherman. The river I fish is 30 feet deep with access to lake Superior and lake huron. I been looking more at Walker downriggers I think I will go with the King Fisher I also been looking at scotty

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well guys, it looks like no matter what type of gear we all use, we are in agreement with one major point..WE ALL LOVE TROLLING AND CATCHING... so good luck to all and have a nice summer.....bob

whofan

Petty Officer 1st Class

Post Preview <br />Well I finally done it, I went to my local sports shop and bought a pair of Walker Kingfisherman Manual Downriggers. I am ( with out using yet) very happy with the quality of these riggers. appearance wise these are great. I cant wait to use them. Everyone raves about how great Walker electrics are I hope the manuals are as good. Looking at them putting them together I have a feeling I just made a very wise purchase <br /> <br /><br />Close This Window <br /><br /><br />Post Preview <br />Well I finally done it, I went to my local sports shop and bought a pair of Walker Kingfisherman Manual Downriggers. I am ( with out using yet) very happy with the quality of these riggers. appearance wise these are great. I cant wait to use them. Everyone raves about how great Walker electrics are I hope the manuals are as good. Looking at them putting them together I have a feeling I just made a very wise purchase <br /> <br /><br />Close This Window <br /><br /><br />UBB.classic™ 6.7.1 <br /><br /><br />UBB.classic™ 6.7.1