Manifold removal - Volvo 3.0 GSP-A

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice
I was going to pull my manifold to replace the manifold gasket and check it out, but it looks like the exhaust pipe that goes down to the transom blocks you from taking off the manifold. On mine there is a stud with a nut on it that is about 1/2 inch away from (and behind) the rubber exhaust coupler and exhaust pipe.

The volvo manual drawings don't match this setup (they show the exhaust pipe behind the manifold, and my riser comes off at an angle instead of going straight back as seen in the pictures). The manual says to remove the riser (and carb and alternator) then just remove the manifold . I can't see how this is possible with the exhaust pipe blocking it. Going to the part in the manual about removing the exhaust pipe requires removing the engine.

Anyone ever work on one like this? Do I have to pull the engine to get the manifold off (please say it isn't so...). I could really use some help from a Pro on this one (Don?)

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Manifold removal - Volvo 3.0 GSP-A

Why are you pulling the manifold. The gasket you should be concerned about is between the riser and the manifold. Not the one between the manifold an head. If it leaks, all that leaks is exhaust and it gets noisy.

The volvo manual drawings don't match this setup (they show the exhaust pipe behind the manifold, and my riser comes off at an angle instead of going straight back as seen in the pictures). The manual says to remove the riser (and carb and alternator) then just remove the manifold .

And just what manual are you looking at. Oem, Aftermarket, what's the number of the manual?

fcawth

Seaman Apprentice

I'm trying to figure out why my idle is high with the throttle plates jamed completely closed, on two different carbs. I was thinking there might be a vacuum leak and since the carb side looked good the only other thing I could think of was checking the manifold gasket.

I will be replacing the riser gasket too, but I don't have any water issues as far as I can tell.

I may try the "unlit propane torch" thing to see if I get any indications of a leak before pulling the manifold.

If not the manifold, what else should I do (see my earlier post about the holes in the carb plates - I don't know about this one)? I agree that I don 't want to just go around pulling stuff but I am not sure what else to do at this point.

After the engine is warmed up (crusing under load), it idles at around 800 out of gear, but before it is fully warmed up (but the choke is fully opened) it is better at around 700 out of gear - 600 in gear. I was wondering if there was a small leak that might get bigger once the manifold gets hot after running for a while. I really don't like how it bangs into gear when it is idling at 800+.
Maybe I should just leave it alone??

Thanks again Don and anyone else with ideas.

rogerz2424

Recruit

yes, i have the same issue it almost seems like youd hafta pull the motor out!! Does anyone have any suggestions!!!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Does anyone have any suggestions!!!

Sure do, start a new thread stating exactly what engine you have and what your problem is.