Manifold Gasket Surface (pics) - does it look good?

tochinski

Cadet
Mercruiser 3.0LX 1997, original manifold. Riser was replaced this year.

Manifold to riser surface was machined/grinded. He cleaned it, put some epoxy and then machined it. His comment was - surface was in bad shape.
It is really smooth, but I have doubdts about it, especially about walls between exhaust and water openings on sides.
What do you think?
IMG_0368.jpg

Manifold to engine gasket surface was machined. Looks perfect.
It was a damage on surface in top, center. Seem like water condensate was trapped there during storage, and steel gasket core was corroded, as well as manifold surface. Previous owner didn't have good cover.
IMG_0371.jpg

End caps surfaces are original. Look good for me. Just need to clean loose rust from inside.
IMG_0373.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

I'm still thinking if I should reuse this manifold or buy new one (aftermarket Marine Power).

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Manifold Gasket Surface (pics) - does it look good?

If it were me, I'd just replace the manifold. There seems to be a lot of rust on it, and since you only have to buy one manifold and the riser is relatively new, I'd just eat the money on a new manifold.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It really doesn't look that bad, but you need to clean the gasket surface down to shiny metal, then check them.

tochinski

Cadet

Machinist said this is "marine epoxy", not Marine Tex or Marine JBWeld. He said he didn't clean up surface to metal because those cavities were too deep. It doesn't look there epoxy is too thick though. I would feel much more comfortable if surface would be cleaned to metal.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replace the manifold and riser.