Man Needs Recipe....

Stumpknocker

Senior Chief Petty Officer
A few weeks ago, I was in Carabelle fishing. One day when the Gulf was too rough we decided to have some shrimpKaBobs. Charcoal grill with hickory chips.... Big shrimps on skewers...(I guess thats how you spell it). Anyway a friend of mine brushed on some garlic paste from a jar then sprinkled some garlic powder on them. Turned them over after a min or so and then they were SO GOOOOD. My problem is that I have not been able to find garlic paste in a jar anywhere. Only garlic... or garlic salts.... where do you get this stuff? Sort of looked like pickle relish. Anybody have a clue as to what I am talking about here?

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Man Needs Recipe....

It's strate garlic, if you can't find it in the veggie section you can make your own...here's the recipe.<br />smash garlic<br />remove the skin.<br /><br />Now you can mortar and pestle it, or cut it finely. And, don't skimp on the garlic...Chief :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Maybe we need our Aussie Cousins to jump in on this one! Word has it they know a thing or two about shrimp. :D

LadyFish

Admiral

Look in your produce section. You will find garlic paste, crushed garlic in water and in oil. And don't forget the breath mints before you checkout. :p <br /><br />Sounds great!!! :)

Stumpknocker

Thanks for the tips. I will try again. If all else fails I can make some from Chief101's recipe. I know they are worth it! This picture was taken for a batch we did on aluminum foil. They turned out even better over the open grill with the Hickory chips.... It didn't hurt to be outside the Seafood Market/Bait shop if we needed more!
Lilshrimp2.jpg

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gil! I thought you said BIG shrimp? Better not let the Aussies see those. You may get laughed off the forum. Or at least that's how rumor would have it. :D :p

Dunaruna

Admiral

I would NEVER laugh at the size of someones shrimp ;) <br /><br />Actually I prefer the smaller ones - juicer.<br /><br />In summer this is our sunday lunch: Fresh prawns off the trawlers. Marinate - 1 full REAL garlic, crushed. The best extra virgin olive oil you can find, darker green the better (late harvest). Pinch salt, bay leaf. <br /><br />Cook on bbq, high heat for a couple of minutes - wash down with a chardy.<br /><br />If everyone eats the prawns you don't need to worry about 'garlic breathe' or just drink more chardy :p <br /><br />Aldo

Stumpknocker

The first batch on foil was not the big guys. We were testing the procedure with the foil first. Didn't think it was as good, so the next batch we used the regular setup over the chips and the BIG shrimps. Took no chances. They weighed in at about 3 lbs each. ;) Hey fishermans license here....lol

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Dunaruna:<br /> I would NEVER laugh at the size of someones shrimp ;) <br /><br />Actually I prefer the smaller ones - juicer.<br /><br />In summer this is our sunday lunch: Fresh prawns off the trawlers. Marinate - 1 full REAL garlic, crushed. The best extra virgin olive oil you can find, darker green the better (late harvest). Pinch salt, bay leaf. <br /><br />Cook on bbq, high heat for a couple of minutes - wash down with a chardy.<br /><br />If everyone eats the prawns you don't need to worry about 'garlic breathe' or just drink more chardy :p <br /><br />Aldo
What time do ya serve, DR? And what's the acceptable dress on the new houseboat?? :D :D Gettin mighty tired of winter here. Thought I'd come on down and catch a little tennis between barbees!!!

D

DJ

I mix up a concoction of garlic past, worceshire (I know I blew that spelling) sauce and a touch of soy sauce.<br /><br />Spread the mix on the shrimp before and during BBQ'ing. Works for fish too.<br /><br />If you like a sweet BBQ sauce, do the same, just mix in some Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Mix to taste.