mamosa tree leaking water?

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone out there know anything about mamosa trees?<br />I have a good size mamosa that seems to be leaking water from the trunk . The water started at about 1 ft up then over the last 2 weeks has gotten to 7 ft of the ground.<br />It seems like alot is leaking out . <br />Any idea what it is?????????

LadyFish

Admiral
Re: mamosa tree leaking water?

You sure its the tree and not an underground waterline?<br /><br />I never heard of a Mimosa tree leaking water. Have you had a lot of rain recently?

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by reddog349:<br />I have a good size mamosa that seems to be leaking water from the trunk
I am guessing that liquid is not the stuff you drink at a Sunday brunch, right? :p :p :D

Cranky18

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you sure it is not sap? Are the leaves turning yellow?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mimosa are only one species of tree that "leak" sap. Our Texas cedar elms and pecans do also at certain times.<br /><br />I have no idea what causes it but there have been times when I was mowing in my pecan grove and thought it was raining! It felt like water, but was sap, because it got quite sticky as it dried.<br /><br />I don't know which species is the legendary "raintree", but it must be one of them.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Mimosas are subject to borers. <br />You might look for little holes. They can kill the tree.<br />I have one in my back yard & have never noticed leaking. I'll take a look tonight.<br />I have noticed the dozens of little seedlings that come up all over the place.<br />A pretty tree that attract lots of butterflies & hummingbirds.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

And dont forget the infamous;<br /><br />Weeping Willow ;)

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer

I have seen this in trees 30 foot up...neighbor had a tree guy trim a maple near his house and as soon as the guy cut part way into the tree a plume of water shot out.<br /><br />It turns out the maple was hollow in the middle and the water just collects inside - it happens to a lot of trees. <br /><br />It just sounds like you have a hollow tree,if it is near your house you may want to cut it down.

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

This tree is about 20 ft high and im afraid its gonna fall on my boat. Its a pretty tree and nothing has turned yet, but boy does it make a mess! The water is really sap as JB said. It has moved up from the trunk and is now leaking from higher up in the tree. <br /> The wasp, bees , butterflys , ants , and every bug under the sun sure do like that sap. My tree is covered in bugs!

Twidget

Commander

That sounds almost like what happened to a neighbors silverleaf maple. The head made the bark split, all the bugs moved in and it died. You might want to consider cutting it down before it does fall on your boat.

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

reddog<br /><br />Before you cut that tree down, you might check with your local "Tree Huggin Orginization", to see if you need a permit to cut it.<br /> :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: <br /><br />IMHO A chainsaw cuts faster and makes a lot less noise than a permit. :eek: <br /><br /> :D L :D O :D L<br /><br />Go for it!!!!!

reddog349

Petty Officer 1st Class

Reel - Chainsaws tend to scare away the tree huggers!lol!!

one more cast

Captain

I always wear a white hockey mask when I run my chainsaw and I've NEVER had anyone approach my.