mallory rotor wiggle? is that normal?

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class
1982 merc 260 .. mallory dist.

the rotor has a good bit of wiggle or side to side play on top of the shaft.. this wiggle is without the shaft moving.. so its just the rotor..

is this normal? ive heard from one person that it isnt.. but nothing really really conclusive..

KaGee

Admiral
Re: mallory rotor wiggle? is that normal?

That can't be a good thing... Any rotor I've ever installed was always nice and snug.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

okay thanks..

ordered correct part number replacement today.. will see how that works out for me..

KaGee

Admiral

Make sure your Pertronix module is is seated all the way down. Somebody a while back had a similar issue, and the module was not seated right, causing the rotor to not seat properly as well.

zshooter

Cadet

Yep Kagee I recently installed a Pertronix and the magnetic pickup was too thick for the rotor to seat completely. Ground off about a 32nd of an inch off the rotor, and she fits nice and snug.

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

ill check it out.. definitely a possibility.. thanks for the heads up.. and tip..

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

well the rotor wiggles with and without the magnetic pickup.. so gonna get that new rotor saturday..

any creative ideas for a way to perhaps shim the thing if the new on still seems to have some place in it?

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have had loose mallory rotors.
I never kept it from working.
I have lost track of all the trouble
you are having. It runs, it don't run.
No spark on 1 cyl.
Are you worried about the rotor?
What state is the motor in?

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

then i wont worry about it too much.. ill pick up a new one and see if that sits any better..

it runs.. fires up no problems...

just need to get timing set and idle settings on carb.. got a new needle for the carb to replace the bent on so ill swap that in..

i replaced all the plugs on that side and next time i fire it up ill check em out..

battery dead thou so havent been able to start it.. got the battery charged so ill fire it up again this weekend.. think im all set..

the motor is in Illinois :}

hullofalottatrouble

Petty Officer 1st Class

just an update..

new rotor is rock solid..

guess this was a poorly made or incorrect replacement part..

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

The junk being sold today is simply AMAZING.....and at least ya GOT the rotor. Last kit I bought didn't even HAVE the rotor. By the way, a loose rotor will park ya REAL quick...never use it.