Malbu Sker - Speedometer issues

nramil

Cadet
just purchased a 1987 Maibu Skie. Both speedometers are not working. Can someone please tell me where the sensors are located so I can check or have them replaced. Or is there something else I should be looking for. Your help/info is greatly apprceciated.

nramil

Cadet
Re: Malbu Sker - Speedometer issues

it is a 1987 Malibu Skier with a 351 Ford motor.

tommays

Admiral

The speedos work on air pressure from the pitot tubes on the transome of the boat

39581_0.jpg

Tommays

nramil

Cadet

Thanks for the info, Is there a web site that can give me instructions of getting to it. I am assuming the picture above is what I should be looking for.

ricksrster

Commander

It should be located on the outside rear of the boat just under the water line. There will be a plastic tube connected to it. The tube runs from there up to your seedometer. Make sure the thing on the back of the boat isn't plugged. It has a smaal hole facing forward. Make sure the plastic tube isn't plugged. You can try to blow air through them.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Its called a "pitot" (pronounced pit-oh). Since this is a ski boat, I would expect it to have a paddle wheel pickup for better accuracy. Either way, the pickup or pitot would be at the back of the boat. Can't miss it.

nramil

Cadet

Thanks for the info....I found them. One was clogged and the other was o.k.. I removed the tube on the pitot and was able to blow throw the hole on the pitot. Speedometer still not working. I will replace the one that is clogged and see if that will help. I have not check the hose from the speedometer to the pitot yet. I will do that next. Hoping to at least get one of the two speedometers to work.