Making Tackle- Question

Mike6158

Cadet
I was in the neighborhood Walmart this morning (buying my Texas Hunting / Fishing Super Combo License) and I ran across a type of cork that I had not seen before. Well... not really type. Maybe mfg. is the correct term. Anywho, I had an idea that I want to try so I thought I would see what folks here thought. BTW- Howdy, I'm new here.<br /><br />I've done something similar to this only the cork was fixed.<br /><br />The tackle will start with a barrel swivel with a length of 30# monofilament leader tied on, then a bead, then the new cork (made by Betts Tackle Limited and called, simply enough, slip floats), then possible a small egg sinker (debating this because the cork is weighted, then a bead, then another barrel swivel. I would tie a length of monofilament leader to the last barrel swivel and then tie my hook or a good coastlock snap swivel to the end of that. I haven't really decided how long the two leader segments should be. I plan to fish live shrimp so it's really not a depth issue.<br /><br />Any thoughts? Comments? Critics? :)

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Making Tackle- Question

I use a similar rig to keep live baits near the surface.. Usually, i'll run 30-40 inches of leader under a big popping cork rigged to slide on 12 inches of line between beads and swivels.....<br /><br />You might consider using a pair of glass or brass beads on the underwater side on the float... The action of the waves and swimming bait makes the beads tap against each other... I read that the noise from the beads tapping against each other mimics the sound of an injured baitfish...

Mike6158

Cadet
Re: Making Tackle- Question

I use a similar rig to keep live baits near the surface.
That's the intent here.<br /><br />Some guy told me to paint my corks black so they are less visible to the fish. Have you ever heard of that? The last time that went fishing together he got more hits than I did. He was using a cheapo Walmart plastic rattle cork, that is normally red on top / green on bottom, painted black. I was using store bought popping corks (removed all the hardware and tied on my own leader and coastlocks). They were styrofoam (red and white or red and green). Painting them doesn't work because the paint melts them. The corks that I found yesterday feel and sound like they are made of wood. There were two sizes. Both about an inch in diameter at the bottom. One about 6" or 8" long and one about 10" or 12" long. They are too skinny to work as popping corks though :( At least I think that's the case. The weather here hasn't been good for small boats lately. I will hopefully get to try my rig out later this week.<br /><br />Thanks for the reply