Making Plug Wires

bbach

Seaman Apprentice
Motor is a 86' Johnson 120. Intermittently was not getting full power. Pulled the cover and noted that one of the plug wires had tension on it from a retaining bracket. Pulled the wire off completely and same symptoms. Put the wire back on and it works much better so I'm 99% sure this was the problem. <br /><br />Stopped by the dealer to get a new set of wires. He sold me a set of boots and some wire. It is extreamly difficult to slip (force) the boot over the wire and clip on the end. Soaking the boot in alchol was recommended by the dealer but not sure about this. Any tips on assembling the wires from these parts? <br /><br />Thanks. -- Bud

Jonahw

Cadet
Re: Making Plug Wires

Bud,<br />I have the same motor except it is an 89', I just replaced all the wires a couple of weeks ago. All you need to do is put the clip on the end of the wire(point into the electrode through wire) and then I just used household dishsoap to lube and the wires slide right in the boots no problem. Afterwards the soap just rinses right off.<br />Jonah

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Argh! This is causing much grief. How can I reliably test wheather the wires I made up are good? I assume I want to push the pin through the center of the wire right? push the probes between the coil and the rubber boot? zero ohms on the meter? Wiggle the wires around? <br /><br />I'm going crazy. Replaced the plugs today and still similar symptoms. Then swapped wires with an old one one at a time and I *think* the last one I swapped was bad but it was really too rough to test on the water. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks. <br /><br />-- Bud<br /><br />-- Bud

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Zero ohms on the meter when measuring end to end is good. zero means no resistance. If there was a problem it would read higher than zero, open circuit being the worst case.<br /><br />What sort of Meter are you using to measure with?

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

A cheap digital multi-meter from Radio Shack...<br /><br />-- Bud

71whaler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does it have a continuity (sp) test? If so take the black lead on one end of the wire and red end on the other, the meter should give a solid beeping noise. <br /><br />FYI, rubbing alcohol works great for pushing the wire end into the boot. No need to soak, just pour some into the boat and then push the wire in. It then evaporates and no need to rinse.

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

OK. No continuity tester. <br /><br />Yesterday while testing in heavy seas I found one of the wires had come off the coil terminal. I thought I had not got it on all the way and knocked it off with the cover. This morning, on the trailer, I removed the cover and I'll be darned if the same wire wasn't off. The little spring coil seemed to be too big for the terminal. Are the ends different sizes? I replaced it with one that fit better from another wire and now it seems to be running normal (limited testing).<br /><br />I had used a tiny bit of dish soap but didn't really wash it after. I didn't want to get the wires wet. Could the soap be an issue? Next time I'll try the rubbing alcohol.<br /><br />Thanks. -- Bud

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If anyone's interested I can make you a custom set of super high quality spark MSD plug leads to fit your OMC outboards. The wires are made from MSD's top-of-the-line 8.5 red jacket superconductor cable and the boots are super high quality MSD 90 degree boots. I've made a set for my '74 115 and they work great. What an improvement from the stock wires !<br /><br />E-mail me off list at roj at telus.net for more info.<br /><br />Roj<br /><br />'74 Johnson 115<br />'77 Evinrude 9.9

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The instructions that come with the wire kits say to use alcohol or acitone to assemble the wire into the plug. When I did it, I happened to have acitone in reach and used it. Surprise! Surprise! Surprise! The wire slipped right in and dries off in seconds leaving the boot tightly attached to the wire and no residual lube to conduct the spark out of the boot. You won't get that sort of conection using soap. <br /><br />And yes, you do want to put the coiled connector's prong directly through the wire so it comes in contact with the core. Also there should be 1/4" of bare core exposed out the end of the wire so it is touching the coiled connector. <br /><br />The instructions also say to apply some Triple Guard Grease to the inside of the boot. The package should have come with small packets of Triple Guard that look like the Soy Sauce pack in Chinese take out. This stuff will help prevent corrosion at the connection/contact points at both ends of the wire and help make a water and electrically tight connection.<br /><br />Also note that the coil ends snap on the posts. They are a tight fit so make sure you press them on firmly.

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Mark, Thanks! That all really makes sense. I did not strip back any of the core. I do have some triple guard too. I think I need to remake these wires. Hopefully I didn't cut them too short!<br /><br />-- Bud