Making a kicker motor steering addition

minnred

Cadet
I would like to hook up my kicker motor to my main motor, to allow me to steer from my steering wheel while trolling. So I bought a steering rod I thought would work, and should have taken a closer look at where the rod would install :( My main motor is about 10" lower than my kicker motor, so the rod I bought won't work. Open to ideas to make things work. Attached is a picture of my motors, and the rod I bought.

Attachments

• attwood-kicker-motor-steering-kit-1424439-1.jpg
    attwood-kicker-motor-steering-kit-1424439-1.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 11
  • boat motors.JPG
    boat motors.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 13

airshot

Rear Admiral
If attached at rear of both motors...might work ?? You need a rod with ball attachment to both motors to make work in front....just looking at pics, hard to say without actually seeing it.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
People don'y have kickers because they don't think they need them. The rest of us know that we do. No commercially available stuff, so,you need to be a mechanic and build it yourself.

3/8" threaded rod. 3.8" poly tubing to cover it. SS QD ball and sockets at the end of the rods, attached to both engines.

All engines have holes in the mounts, so no drilling needed. If the engines are at different levels, put a bend in the control rod.

Easy peasy and not rocket science. The attached pics are the 3rd and 4th ones I made myself.

If they are both at the same level, you don't need the bend.

1661558040279.jpegP3310005.JPG1661558040279.jpeg

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
I lock my kicker motor straight ahead, then use my bow mount trolling motor to steer, it has remote steering and autopilot so controling is a breeze.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I lock my kicker motor straight ahead, then use my bow mount trolling motor to steer, it has remote steering and autopilot so controling is a breeze.
You mean you run both motors at once?

airshot

Rear Admiral
You mean you run both motors at once?
Yes, I use a small 2.2 hp gas for foward thrust, locked straight ahead. Then my 55 lb thrust trolling motor has autopilot and remote steering so I can pay attention to my rods and fish. Troller is controlled by a remote hanging around my neck. Works great....can tell it what course to take or follow a preset course....if an emergency comes up, I can steer 90 degrees with the touch of a button! Can run the gas motor for 8 hrs on one gallon of gas and the troller for 8 hrs on one charge. No need to get up and fiddle with the motor...