make your own cooler....???

nicknight

Seaman
Bag coolers are not cutting it on my boat.....I want to catch a fish at 6 in the morning and have it be as fresh as can be at the end of the day ( I have been killing and bleeding immediately). I want to keep my fish cool but the coolers that I can buy are either not a good shape for fish, too big or just plain awkward to fit in the 16 foot piece of tin I own . I need something custom.

eHow said to use the spray in insulation foam, I am guessing "great stuff). But eHow is the idiot brother of Wikipedia so I do not trust it.

Anyone have specifications an/or tips for me? How thick should the insulation be? How should the cooler be constructed? Maybe there is a really good lid design that allows fish to go in and not let out a lot of cold

Ideally I would like it to be a custom shape but under stand that I may be stuck with a box shape.

In the end I am hoping for a box that meets the following specifications.I want the inner box to be about 25"W x 10"D x ?" H (after insulation it cannot be more than 13.5" high). I am doing other research but non of those guys have been storing fish for a day (they store beer)

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: make your own cooler....???

I had considered building my own for a time but ended up deciding to just buy one.

http://www.outdoorplay.com/72-Quart...e=googlebase&cvsfa=2003&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=373731

The link is for an Igloo marine cooler that I KNOW will keep ice for several days even in summer. Interior size is 24.5"L x 13.5W" x 13?H; exterior is 29.75"L x 16.75"W x 16.5"H.

This particular dealer is offering this for $122 delivered. They have it in stock today and they offer free same day shipping if you order by 5PM Eastern time. They use UPS as their carrier and they're located in Oregon, so figure time accordingly. You do have the option of getting it quicker but you'll have to pay for the privilege.

I've never ordered from them so can't offer any personal testimony about the dealer but I do have an Igloo cooler and think very highly of it.

V153

Lieutenant Commander

Anybody 'member those old green metal Coleman coolers? Don't think they were aluminum, galvanized mebbe? Now that was a cooler! Keep your junk cold for the better part of a week ...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

This is the cooler I have and it has worked very well for nearly a decade.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301548_45335.do

IF you'll put enough ice in it (about 16-20 lbs.) it'll keep fish fresh for 24 hrs.

It's pretty rugged and travels in the boat (17' tinny) well.

I have 2 other hard side coolers, another 60 and a 120 but they don't have the wheels.

My wife owns a soft side cooler, but she's never tried to keep fish in it.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Anybody 'member those old green metal Coleman coolers? Don't think they were aluminum, galvanized mebbe? Now that was a cooler! Keep your junk cold for the better part of a week ...

Me and my 2 brothers made a go kart out of one when we were kids back in the 60's.:D:p

srimes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't use "great stuff." I'd use extruded polystyrene (XPS). The blue/pick sytrofoam boards at the hardware store. It can be fiberglassed with epoxy, polyester will eat it.

fishrdan

Admiral

I used to use a big 100 qt cooler like jay posted up, worked well with enough ice, 4- 20# bags.

My new(ish) boat had a big 12x12x52 livewell, but it was uninsulated and would burn through ice quickly. I lined the exterior of it with 1" foam and the lid with 1" of closed cell foam. If I fill it with ice, then lake water, it makes a nice slurry and keeps the fish chilly. It works fine for 1 day, but I wouldn't go much over that.

If I were to build a fish cooler I'd use 1" (blue/pink) insulation foam, fiberglass it inside and out, then paint it white. 2" foam would be better, but I don't think you have the space.

Also, keeping the cooler sealed air tight is very important. Hot air leaking in at the lid will burn up your ice. My livewell's lid foam pressed down into the livewell lip and keeps air out. Last night I loaded it up with ice, went fishing, caught 30 fish and they were in great condition when I got home, that was 18 hours in 80-100* heat (afternoon to morning).

fishrdan

Admiral

The blue/pick sytrofoam boards at the hardware store. It can be fiberglassed with epoxy, polyester will eat it.

Paint the foam with something that won't eat the foam 1st, then you can use poly resin.

sasto

Captain

I wouldn't use "great stuff." I'd use extruded polystyrene (XPS). The blue/pick sytrofoam boards at the hardware store. It can be fiberglassed with epoxy, polyester will eat it.

2nd that!

Paint the foam with something that won't eat the foam 1st, then you can use poly resin.

I've used duct tape...2nd that too!

nicknight

Seaman

OK...thanks.....it looks like I am going tupperware container surrounded by the pink/blue foam board

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

cooler 1.jpgcooler3.jpgcooler2.jpgYes I have made a few. Pretty common here. This one was 66 long by 27 by 26. 3 inch foam and held fish for a LONG time. But at the time we were going 80 miles out for a few days. Now that the government has made war against the recreational fishing industry its not worth it. Gel coat inside and 3 inch on the sides and four on top. I sold it for $300. could have sold it for $400. Probably had more than that in it. The only reason I did not order a commercial cooler online was that I needed this size to fit between the walkways in my Luhrs.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They are here to and have been for years. For a one day trip.

goboating

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you wanted to make your own to fit a particular space...then why couldn't you use 1/2 square metal tubing, sheetmetal on both sides and fill the inside with spray foam from a rattle can ( crack sealer stuff)??? Do the lid the same way.