Major Problem?

scottzfx

Cadet
Just bought a boat and trailer that I am picking up tomorrow. My first:). Here is the problem. The trailer has a broken leaf spring hanger. Currently, the front of the spring is being held to the trailer with the pin and a weld on one side only. The other side broke off at the weld. Guy says he's driven it like that for over a year. I can only imagine the stress the hanger and bolt are under. I have a replacement hanger and someone to weld it. Can I use a square bolt with some type of bar across it as an emergency fix til I can tow it to the welder? It's going to have to go with the boat and motor on it. I'm going to have the welder check the other welds and I'm thinking I should just replace the springs on it while I'm at. If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Major Problem?

how far are you towing it? i picked mine up and it had a muffler clamp :eek: holding the spring to the frame...stayed together for 30 miles til i got home and had the correct hanger welded on. if theres a way to make it temporarily stronger like you are suggesting, I would go ahead and do that for sure.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to iboats and the wonderful world of boating! You'll be broke like us in no time! :D

I've got to say, that trailer doesn't sound good at all. There are some other factors you left out, such as the weight of the boat, the distance you have to travel, what speeds, etc., but really I'd be tempted to say leave it off the road until you can get it repaired properly.

Easy for me to say, certainly. But one thing you'll learn about boating is that stuff gives way at the most inoppourtune times, and this sounds like a recipe for a very bad day.

Is there any way you can leave the boat where it is while you have the trailer inspected and repaired? If you search these forums you will find various and ingenious methods people have thought up for getting a boat off a trailer without the benefit of water... Try "tashasdaddy" and "trailer" in the search engine and you will probably find something.

scottzfx

Cadet

Wish I did know the weight of the boat. Its a 16' fiberglass tri-hull. The motor, I know is 300 lbs. When the trailer is fixed, I'm taking it to a truck scale to get the weight of the boat and trailer so I can replace the springs. Good thing is the welder is only 1.5 miles from where I'm picking up the boat and its all paved back roads. I don't really have the option to leave where it is and its a longer tow to get it back to my house. I'm going to take a muffler hanger (maybe 2), as mentioned above, attach that, and go VERY slow. That is going to be a LONG 1.5 miles!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Stop at a trailer supply store on the way and pick up a bolt on leaf spring bracket. Only takes a couple of minutes to put on, all you need is a wrench or two of the correct size.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

1.5 miles on a back counry road? I'd probably chance that...Good luck!

(I hope I didn't just jinx you...:D)

scottzfx

Cadet

Thanks for all the information! I picked it up and got it to the welder with no problems. I'm having him give it a good going over and fix anything he finds. Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully, I can get her in the water this weekend!:)

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

If the person let the trailer go that way I would check the boat out very good before going to far my first time out.