Maintenance on Breakerless Ignition?

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So what exactly is this "breakerless ignition"? And what maintenance is there required? I was reading a post that directed them to that one website where you can get your engines wiring diagram, and the only one I could find for mine was a "breakerless" ignition.

The only searches that come up on here about them are that they are very reliable. Is their some other place I can read more on them?

I am just curious about them. So if it isn't too much trouble, could someone enlighten me on how they work, pros and cons, what to watch out for, so on and so forth.

Much appreciated!!

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Maintenance on Breakerless Ignition?

1. So what exactly is this "breakerless ignition"? No mechanical moving parts vs electronics.

2. What maintenance is there required? No Maintenance!

3. The only one I could find for mine was a "breakerless" ignition. The newer ones are.

4. Could someone enlighten me on how they work. # 1 answers this question.

5. Pros and cons, what to watch out for, so on and so forth. They are good and reliable with no maintenance in most cases as on your car.

My Opinions!
JOW

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Standard ignition systems use a mechanical set of "points" in a distributor to trigger the ignition coil to discharge a high voltage pulse to the plugs at the correct moment. At higher RPM's the opening and closing of the points is less reliable than at lower RPM's. Also if the contacts on the points get corroded or worn, it has a detrimental affect on ignition performance. As the points wear, ignition timing changes.

Breakerless ignition systems use a solid state device in the distributor to trigger the high voltage pulse from the coil to the plugs. There is little or no difference in ignition performance whether at low RPM's or high RPM's. There is no wear since there is no mechanical device involved. For this reason, breakerless ignition systems require less maintenance and are typically more reliable than systems using points.

If you go one step further, you have a distributorless, breakerless ignition system. This eliminates another mechanical device (the distributor) involved in firing the plugs. These systems use a "trigger" that is energized by a magnet(s) placed in specific location on the flywheel. This system is most commonly seen on CD (Capacitive Discharge) systems. The trigger then "triggers" the CD module to fire the coil(s).

nathanhooper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you, thank you, thank you. That gives me some direction in where to go and some background. I know it is a broad topic, with a lot of side roads to go down, but those answers helped a lot.