Maintenance on 20 year old VP 3.0 inboard.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,

My boat and engine is turning 20 years old and I wondered if I should change, repair, replace anything in particular.

Or as my gramps keeps telling me - if it aint broke don't fix it.

Boat is 3.0 4 cylinder inboard volvo penta SX-M leg with 250 hours salt water use.

I've replaced in the last couple of years and recently, bellows, gimbal, power steering pump, both water pumps, relays, carb rebuild - always serviced etc.

10 years or more replaced items:
- Marine battery
- Hydraulic hoses on the leg.
- Steering RAM actuator
- Alternator

Areas that haven't been replaced and I think may need looking at (purchased boat new):
- HT leads / distributor original
- Thermostat original
- All hoses
- and obviously lots others..

Is there anything I should be doing or looking at as preventative maintenance?

Thanks in advance for ideas/thoughts.

kenny nunez

Captain
Remove the spark plugs, quart sone Marvel Mystery oil then spin it over with the starter.
Has the engine block and manifold been drained to prevent freeze cracking?

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the spark plugs, quart sone Marvel Mystery oil then spin it over with the starter.
Has the engine block and manifold been drained to prevent freeze cracking?

Always, this is just standard winterization/yearly maintenance.

I'm going down the route of preventive maintenance for a 20 year old boat so that I'm not stranded somewhere next season.

baker556

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Forgot to mention risers and exhaust manifold/cooler replaced last year too.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you’ve gotten most of the critical points…
The hoses don’t get stressed that much with open cooling. HT leads you can check with an ohmmeter. Get way down in the bilge & check the tin oil pan for rust; if any is starting treat with rust converter & then paint over if you can, if not what I do is spray with corrosion x once a season. Same with the timing chain cover. Remove rust from pulleys & paint with Rustolium.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Manual states annual or ever 100 hours to pull the drive, check alignment and u-joints, inspect bellows

Other than the standard maintenance, use the boat...don't let it sit. A boat getting 100 - 500 hours a year will outlast a boat getting 5 hours a year

Donald0039

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would replace the thermostat. Make sure it's one for a RWC engine which I assume it is.

I assume you pull the drive every year or two. Grease the u-joints. Check the alignment.

There are probably things wearing out in the outdrive if it has not been rebuilt in 20 years.