maintenance free battery

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: maintenance free battery

Johnrk<br />Welcome to the board.<br />A battery that has no caps to pull off and add water. Some use a gel instead of water.

johnrk

Recruit

I asked earlier because the 2 Walmart batteries in my boat have a quarter-sized viewer on top of the battery.It says on the battery that if you look in there and it shows "green" that there is 70-100% battery left. It has 2 rectangular caps on top of the battery,but I was unable to pry them off,even with a screw driver. I bought some distilled water,thinkng that I would top up the batteries,if needed.They are Everstart brand,but the "clerk" @ Walmart acted as ignorant as me.He said that it sounded like they were maintenance free batteries and that the rectangular caps were not meant to be removed,similar to car batteries that you buy these days. John

Dunaruna

Admiral

The term 'maintenance free' is constantly evolving when it comes to batteries but in relation to lead acid batteries (yours?) it simply means that it shouldn't need topping up for the term of its life expectancy. If everything is working properly the battery doesn't discharge spent acid during the recharge cycle, therfore it doesn't need topping up. Some have plugs, most don't.<br /><br />In my experience they are a waste of money, the sight glass is rarely accurate. I like to look inside and top up when needed. Constant topping up can alert you to an overcharging problem. My 2cents.<br /><br />Aldo

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

I have purchased Walmart Everstarts for my car and boat. They are excellent batteries at a great price. They are not designed to be opened. That eye glass is common on most batteries being produced today for cars.<br /><br />When the eye glass will not show green anymore the battery may still have some life left in it, but it is a clear sign that it doesn't have the power it used to. It may charge full when you put it on a charger, but under load will not have the cranking power. <br /><br />Average battery life is dependant on many factors including keeping them fully charged and the initial quality of the battery itself. Generally, <br />average battery life is anywhere between 3 and 7 years with 5 being the norm.<br /><br />At the price these batteries sell for, I don't hesitate to change them at the first signs of weekness. Getting caught out on the water and needing a tow isn't my idea of fun...especially if you may boat in remote areas.

johnrk

Recruit

These batteries are 10 months old. At the marina,the boat stays on shore power with the charger switched to "ALL." The battery charger is all that is turned on at the boat's cabin-breaker panel.When gone,I do not leave the 'fridge or air conditioner on either,even while on shore power.I would hope these 2 batteries will last at least 2 more years and I guess I can then go back down to Wal Mart and buy 2 more? John

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by cobra 3.0:<br /> They are not designed to be opened.
Yes they are. This subject was beat to death at: (Go to) Outboard Non-Repair section..scroll down to "Battery Question" IBFISN Sept 17th. It would also help if you have a question to go to the search feature here at Iboats and see if some topic might have already been discussed, and could solve your problem...save some time. Just a thought.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Robby6950, yup you sure beat that topic to death with repeating the same thing over and over! <br /><br />If they were designed to be opened, they would not be glued on. Sure you can pry them open and bust the seal but these maintenance free batteries were designed to keep the water in and generally do a great job doing that. Once you have to crack them open, your playing with an old dog that will leave you soon. ;)

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Cobra, pick up a Boaters World catalog. Pg 426. Look at the Maintenance Free 1000. Recessed caps and you can plainly see the slots in the back to pop them off. Look at the Nautilas Gold (3rd down) Better picture of the slots. The middle Nautilas Maintenance Free has raised caps and you can clearly see the screwdriver slots in the middle of the cap at the front. These caps ARE the accumulators that make these batteries maintenace free, but they still go dry over time, and I have never seen any glued in. Tight yes, but not glued. And I am NOT talking about sealed Gel or AGM batts here

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

My Delco Marine/RV, and Chrysler car battery is glued on. My Walmart Energiser is removable! So, looks like some are and some are not. :)

18rabbit

Captain

Cobra – it gets even better. I had some DEKA maintenance-free AGM’s. Said right on the side “Maintenance Free - No Maintenance Required”. If I unscrewed one of the fill caps, there were instructions for topping off that cell.