maintenance free battery not acceptable?

jrbachman

Cadet
I have a 15 hp johnson that quit running,no spark.Upon trouble shooting engine I read in owners manual maintenance free batteries are not acceptable.My question is the battery potentialy damaged if I used it. Just wondering also if thats why the ignition system failed.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: maintenance free battery not acceptable?

Welcome to iboats, Bachman!<br /><br />The ignition system on your 15hp has very little to do with the 12v system. It's very likely that the failure is unrelated.<br /><br />The reason they don't recommend "Maintenance Free" batteries is that the charging system on your 15hp is what is known as unregulated. What that means is it does not know to stop charging the battery when it is full.<br />When you overcharge a lead-acid battery it looses water. Maintenance free batteries have no provision for adding more. (Although most actually do under a label or something) So the charging system on your 15hp will wear out a maintenance free battery faster than a regular one simply by boiling off the water. This isn't really a very big problem on the small charge your 15hp puts out.<br /><br />This all ignores that there are now some maintanance free batteries on the market now that are able to stand overcharging rather well.<br /><br />What part of your ignition system failed?

jrbachman

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I have not finished trouble shooting yet,but I have ruled out the kill switch and charging system. Im going to guess and say its the power pack but I need to buy a peak reading adaptor for my fluke meter.

Paul Moir

Admiral

There's a cheap one made by Electronic Specialties (goes at maxrules.com for $35). With a little electronics know-how you can make you're own very easily. Just a bridge rectifier and a small storage capacitor (.1 uf or so, 400v).