Maiden Voyage on Stiff Nibbles II

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Had my maiden voyage on the 'new' boat yesterday.<br /><br />Rough day. Strong wind all morning, bay was 2-4 feet all over the place. I usually launch out of a marina in keyport, but didn't know if I'd clear the bridge with my canvas up so I wanted to launch somewhere else. The municipal ramp 3 blocks from me was getting pounded, so I drove about 10 miles to a ramp in Sayreville, a couple miles up the raritan river.<br /><br />Got to the ramp and launched well, though the ramp was a mess with logs and crap everywhere. <br /><br />Got out on the river and played around a little. I had the motor trimmed all the way down and it was taking a while to get up on plane. When I sea trialed the boat it planed out well. I ended up dropping the tabs and it got plaing well. <br /><br />River was a complete mess, tree-size logs all over the place. I was nervous enough without having to drive through this obstacle course. Even though when we got out to the bay it was solid whitecaps, I was much more comfortable there then on the river. Boat took the serious chop like butter, not a single pound all day. Did take quite a bit of spray on the canvas with the strong wind, but we stayed dry. :) <br /><br />Then to my suprise I found that the boat actually planes out better if the motor is not all the way down, but about 1/4 of the way up on the trim guage. The prop gets more spin and though there is a little more bow rise it will drop down on plane faster this way. Strange, no? I'm used to best planing happening trimmed all the way down. <br /><br />With 4 people on the boat (big folks, my friend is around 375, I'm 290, then my wife and another friend as well) and 50 gallons of gas I was able to squeak a top speed in the flat river area of 41mph GPS against the incoming tide when raising the tabs and trimming the motor. Plugged along quite nicely at 4000-4200 RPM at around 30-32 MPH. <br /><br />This is my first boat with trim tabs, so needless to say it was a little exciting when I was getting used to their operation and responsiveness. Boat responds very well to them, if not too well, just a little tap or two on the switch will correct even a strong list. At first I was holding them and waiting for the boat to respond, which would send us tipping quite quickly to the other side. Wife didn't like that. :D By the end of the day it was second nature though. <br /><br /><br />Cruised around a little, fished (not even a bite) and then headed back up the river. Got to the ramp, tied up and dropped the trailer in. Loaded up with no problem. <br /><br />Got about a mile and I heard this explosion and shattering glass behind me after I pulled out of a gas station driveway. Went and looked, and apparently a glass bottle from the cesspool of a ramp somehow got wedged in the trailer somewhere while loading and exploded when the boat rocked coming out of the driveway. Scared the crap out of me. No damage anywhere though. <br /><br />Got home, cleaned up, and all in all though I was highly stressed out all day it was a good time. <br /><br />Going out again after work today. :D :D :D

tylerin

Commander
Re: Maiden Voyage on Stiff Nibbles II

Congrats on the maiden voyage Steve. They do have a switch with gauge setup that lets you know where your tabs are but you'll figure it out in time. You might already have it

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Don't have it, I think I saw it in a store near me though, it's called a 'trimdicator' right? Bennet makes them?<br /><br />Once I got the feel for the sensitivity and realized that the right switch operated the left tab (so it affects the right side bow) things went real well. For a while, I would be listing to port say, and try to correct by dropping the port switch thinking it was the port tab, and then start listing BAD. :D So finally it was making absolutely no sense to me so I stopped and watched the tabs as my wife operated the switches, and everything was great after that. Minor detail.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

First time on a boat, any boat, especially a boat you had to pay for - is a pant load. But like anything associated with danger/expense/or emotions, it is a rush. How the trip goes depends on whether it goes to your head or ends up in your shorts. Sounds like a solid first run. 41mph with a full load is outstanding from my perspective!<br /><br />When in doubt with the trim tabs, bail out completely by lifting them to a position where they have no effect then start from scratch. These things can bring about "bow steer" without you noticing. In a trip or two you will have it down. Usually a quick touch is all it takes on my boat to have a significant effect on the attitude of the boat.<br /><br />Glad to hear your first trip was a success. Good for you and Enjoy!! :) :)

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Pointer. Yeah, it was a true rush (and a pant load). Once I started getting a little relaxed it was awesome. And yes I was happy with 41 mph! But I did just order a Ballistic SST wheel for it... :D Figure she's worth it, and I'll have the aluminum as a spare. I saw about 5600R with the aluminum, and I'm sure without the chop and the load and a little more trim I could have gotten a few more, so I stayed with a 14.5X19 which is what's on there now in aluminum.<br /><br />About the tabs again, The boat would start to list so badly that I just shut it down and reset them at idle the first few times. What would happen was that I would start from a stop with the tabs down, then as it planed I would raise them, at which time she would start to list to port, maybe one tab is faster than the other? I would try to correct it by letting off the stbd switch (I think?) but having my logic reversed it would get even worse, real nasty lean and steering pull, so I would just cut the throttle and start all over before she rolled (at least it felt like it was going to). You're right, a quick little tap or two and she levels off nice. :D <br /><br />Thanks!!

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Sounds like you're enjoying it. That's great!<br /><br />I can relate to the stress. I've had my first boat for two summers now, and this last weekend we took it out and had a blast trolling for white bass. It's the first time I've been able to just relax and enjoy the day without worrying about something going wrong with the boat!<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Very very nice boat Steve.<br />I would love something like that.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks again guys. <br /><br />Took her out last night after work. Much better as far as the nerves go. Runs perfect, starts from dead cold in about 1 second of cranking, then once warmed up you could almost look at the key wrong and it'll start up. Had her juping up on plane in about 3-4 seconds with no trim tabs, just my dad and I out this time. Really big difference in performance with 2 less people. Managed 5600-5700 rpm before the prop started blowing out. 43MPH. Engine sounds happiest at 3800-4000, which moves us at about 28-30. Cruised out to the Romer lighthouse and drifted for stripers, but we only caught one small bluefish. Lucky for us actually, because I forgot the net and the gaff. :) Nice night out.