magneto for 1960 OMC 60 Horse power

Dewey

Seaman
I am not getting any spark for my plugs. There is a little bit of a charge going to it when I try to start it. Should there be a charge going through the lead to the magneto? If so how much? Is there any other things i can check for? The points seem to be in good shape. There is no short in the plug wire. I have another question I have about the motor. It seems like there never has been a generator on it because the wires that are supposed to connect to it look like they were capped during manufacturing. Is this a normal thing for that time frame. If so, how does the battery recharge. Thanks for any information you can pass on to me.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: magneto for 1960 OMC 60 Horse power

You say...."The points seem to be in good shape"<br /><br />Have you actually removed them and made an attempt to dress the contacts? Even wiped a piece of paper through them to see if they have an oil or corosion buildup between the contacts?<br /><br />If so, then you might start looking towards the coils and condersers.

Dewey

Seaman

i will double check Blaze. So How many volts should come through the lead to the magneto?

Dewey

Seaman

I am not sure what the one wire that conects the coil and the points to the wire harness is for. Is it a ground that runs through the ignition switch to kill the magneto?

clanton

Rear Admiral

If it is a mag the single wire is kill wire, is connected to ground at switch. The mag probley has bad coil, and points should be clean as new.

Dewey

Seaman

Thanks, I have the problem solved now. First time it has run in 12 years. Thanks all for the info.

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

To answer your question about the generator, it was optional on 1960 engines. I just charge mine with a 6 amp charger hooked to the house circuit for about 3 hours every two weeks during the season.<br /><br />You said 60 hp in 1960? Must be a Gale, as the big J/E engines were 75 hp.

Dewey

Seaman

Thanks lark. You are correct about it being a Gale. Are generators available for it and if so how much $ and where?