Made some neat rodholders for my mancave

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander
I got tired of sticking, retrieving, untangleing all my rods/reels in the corner of my small workshop/hide from the boss room. So I fabbed a gang rodholder out of 1.5" pvc and it works great. I got 10 1.5" pvc T fittings and had a 1.5" 90 already to put on one end. I cut 11- 2 1/8" pieces of pipe to connect the Ts and allow them to butt each other, good spacing center to center for freshwater spinning and baitcasters side by side. I then marked a 10' 1.5" pipe every 1' and drilled 3/4" holesaw holes in one side of the pipe every foot. I cut the pipe through the center of the holes w a mitersaw and that made notches in the ends of the cut pipes to hold the spining reels legs and the rods all neat and straight. I then assembled the whole thing w/o glue and layed a piece of 1x1.5" walnut I had laying around accross the 10 pipes and marked the centers of each T on the wood. I drilled a single hole through the long side of the wood at each mark so the holes are vertical when the brace is against the wall, behind the rodholders; and threaded a single strand of 3/8" rope through the first hole,around the pipe, down to the next hole around the pipe, through the hole repeat- all the way across the 10 pipes and pulled it tight to the upper ends of the pipes and knotted the ends to hold the pipes firmly to the brace instead of drilling and screwing them to it. Placed it on the floor, against the wall and marked and drilled @ the studs and screwed the brace to the studs. The 1x wood holds the rodholder angled slightly out at the top because the baseboard the Ts are against is 5/8". It looks neat and holds the rods great just have to be carefull w the 7' rods in and out so not to hit the ceiling w the tips when stuffing and removeing the rods. Cost was $17 for the T's I had the rest of the materials on hand. It could be built or expanded to hold more rods easily.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Made some neat rodholders for my mancave

How about a picture; it's worth a thousand words! Sounds nifty.

kfa4303

Banned

How about a picture; it's worth a thousand words! Sounds nifty.

Ditto. I'd love to see it. This is my foray in to PVC rod holder-dom. I had been trying to think of a good design and place to put it for ages until I finally thought of this, which is sad considering how painfully obvious it is and how easy it was to make. It works great, only cost about $5, can be extended upon to hold and many rods as needed and is DIY. I also made a super handy dandy PVC tiller extension, and bilge pump out of some PVC using a piece of bamboo, a plastic "piston" and a couple piece of rubber hose. Also cheap, and DIY.

rod holder and tiller extension.jpg

EDIT: Can't seem to post pics anymore, not sure why :/ I was able to earlier today? I'd still love to see what you made though, if you can get the pics to show up.

EDIT: EDIT: I think I got the pics figured out. Any who, here are the pics of my PVC rod holders, a PVC tiller extension and PVC bilge pump, as well as a bamboo pushpole that I have lashed to by rub rails using large velcro straps. I think bamboo counts because it's sort of like the PVC of nature :) (all of these little bits works great btw. and cost virtually nothing!!!!)

rodholderandtillerextension.jpg

bilgepump1.jpg

bilgepump4-1.jpg

bilgepump3.jpg

0122121630-01.jpg

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I'll try some pics soon but for now i'll try to clarify my design. I believe my setup is almost Identical to yours kfa4303 The Ts are connectted togther w 2 1/8" pieces of pipe, w 12" long pipes to hold the rod handles inserted into the stems of of the Ts like this but inverted TTTTTTTTTT. Then the wood was placed about 5"s down from the tops of the holders (but can be slid up or down as you wish) to hold it out from the wall slighty. The wood and individual rodholders are connected by a rope threaded through holes drilled through the wood parallel to the rodholders, and centered behind each one. I knotted one end of the rope and then threaded it through 1st hole, on either end of the gang of rodholders, going up, around or circleing the 1st pipe, accross the top of the piece of wood to the next pipe, around 2nd pipe, down through the hole behind that pipe, accross the bottom of the wood to 3rd pipe, up through the hole behind it, around the pipe, accross the top of the wood and around the 4th pipe, down throught the hole behind it and so on. This makes all the circleing ropes at the same hight on each pipe when attached to the wall and looks kinda nautical too! The rodholder simply sits in the floor w the inverted Ts resting against the baseboard at the floor and the piece of wood is thicker than the baseboard and angles the rodholders out from the wall slightly in my case (positioned in front of a window) so the rods would clear the window shelf that sticks out about 2" from the wall.