Made my own suspension bushings!

whywhyzed

Banned
Well, GM wants $1600 + labour to replace 4 little suspension bushings in the back of my 99 Deville. They don't sell the bushings, you have to buy the entire "knuckle" for $800 Canuckbux. Soooo, researched it a bit - found some new GM knuckles out of the US for $400 US each.... getting better. Google also found about 200 other people trying to find the bushings - no aftermarket. Some guys had even contacted Moog etc to try to get some made- no dice.... I found the bushing manufacturer but they won't sell me the bushings.
Then, I bought some 90A durometer Polyurethane for around $80 total (enough for about 3 sets of bushings or 12 bushings) and I made my own in the lathe. Not as easy as it sounds as I was copying the original design which is more of a ball joint, but I think I got it right. Luckily I have a 100 ton press at work - need 20T for this job at least. I think that's maybe why they don't sell bushings separately.
First test drive sunday - went about 300 miles. This car has never rode so smooth or handled so nice.
Checked the bushings this morning - took 1 knuckle out - looks beautiful.
If you are keeping score....:
Me:1
GM:0

Coors

Captain
Re: Made my own suspension bushings!

cool. that poly is the best, and will last forever. that's why they don't want to sell it- never need replacement parts. Maybe next time, check out drag racing suppliers; used alot.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I see a new side job for you, with 200 customers on the waiting list.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Congrats on successful innovation. But...is a 100T press a normal household appliance in Ontario?