Macgregor 25 vs Catalina 22

Motega

Recruit
I'm new at sailing and have been looking to by a restoration project sailboat. I Intend to use the boat in the caribean Cancun ?rea. I have come across 2 different boats that both need restoracion and parts.

Pictures #1 1983 25ft Macgregor. The original ad says: "It needs some bottom paint and has a dented in hull but it does sail. One set of sails that are in fair condition."
I contacted the owner and he tells me that it was in the water last year for about a week with no problems. It doesn't have and outboard and the interior needs to be restored. Its being sold for 700 with the trailer. Rigging is said to be complete.

Picture #2 1974 22 ft Catalina the original ad reads: "Here is a 1976 Catalina 22 swing keel sailboat with trailer. This boat is in need of some fixing or a great parts boat. The bow deck has delamination. The boat was being sailed with the delamination so you could sail it but it will need to be fixed. All the rigging is there. Main and Jib sail are the original sails. main is ok shape but he jib does have some sail tape on it. The boat does come with a small outboard as well. Asking $1000 obo."

So I hope you guys can help with your opinions and suggestions. of course tips on what I should expect.
In the case of any boat I buy a intend to paint and repair whatever fiberglass needed. Thanks

Attachments

• 10424CLP1P6447 (1).JPG
    10424CLP1P6447 (1).JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 00n0n_hCXh6BztuHm_600x450.jpg
    00n0n_hCXh6BztuHm_600x450.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander
Without commenting on anything to do with condition (which can't even begin to get an idea of from here), I would take a Catalina 22 any day over a Macgregor.
Catalina has a long standing reputation. Macgregor reputation was a "starter" boat.

Keep in mind that at this age condition does count for a good bit.

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I too would go with the Catalina 22, You can get parts for them, they have a large following, and for a beginner, it is an easier boat.

What is your budget? Plan on spending a lot of money beyond that to get the boat in shape.

Key things to check are the rigging, rudder, and keel to make sure it is all there and what condition it is in. I owned a Catalina 22 for 7 years and it is a great boat.