Lubricant dripping on 1970 Merc 110

ScottyB315

Cadet
Thanks to everyone's input I got the motor spinning real good and she didn't die once on me for the entire 45 min I ran it...mostly between half throttle and WOT. She ran good...only a few issues left to iron out. How can I take some of slop out of the tiller control? I set the cam for the idle position but unless I hold the throttle in place it slowly starts to advance on its own. Also, after I got home (in the dark) I got the rag out to wipe down the motor and I noticed there seams to be a fair amount of oil residue left on the outside of the lower unit, and grease had smeared out from the nipple. Are these normal occurances? If not what type of preventative maint needs to be done to prevent catastrophic failures? Thanks.<br /><br />Scott

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Lubricant dripping on 1970 Merc 110

You need to remove the lower fill/drain screw on the lower unit.Let a bit of oil run out into a clean glass. Check if it's "Milky" or if water runs out, if so, it may need new seals. But first, make sure that the plastic washers were there. After replacing the washers and adding new oil, run it again. If if continually takes in water, do a vaccuum test.