Lubing retracting safety cables

soler

Seaman Apprentice
:confused:
My trailer has retracting safety cables. When new, they were tough to move, as they already started to rust. I should have had them replaced by the dealer right then and there. But, I didn't. Now they are rusted in place. Luckily they are out so I can hook them up. I'll replace them soon. But, for now I just need to know if there is a way to lube them. They are in tubes, and the tubes are welded to the swing-away tongue, and it looks like there is a cap at the back of the tube. Can that cap be removed?

I've done a search and didn't really find what I was looking for. I've seen all the discussions about chains vs cables so let's not start that up. I'm just looking for any info on lubing these cables. I'll replace later.

Thanks!

SOLER

BoatDrinksQ5

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lubing retracting safety cables

My new trailer has a similar setup... I just did a quick spray down with a silicone spray with them in and out.... Might or might not help with longevity and wear/tear on the inside of tubes and front plastic grommets.

Didn't want them to be sloppy with grease.

soler

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Lubing retracting safety cables

I finally found out how to get them out. They were always rough going in and out, and now I know why. About 2/3 of the way back, on the bottom of the tubes, there is a bracket welded there. When it was welded, the inside diameter of the tube shrunk, so the end of the cable that slides back and forth thru there gets bound up. It won't go all the way in, and this is why it has always stuck out about 10 inches. I'm going to have to get a long drill bit and run thru the tube and fix enlarge the tube. Really makes me mad at myself that I didn't force the dealer to do this when new. Grrrr.

SOLER