LU front bearing removal

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's up guys... Just got in a new LU gear set for my 59 18hp Johnson. Clutch dog should be here 2marrow. The only thing stopping me from putting it back together is the front bearing. On the old gear, When I disassembled the LU to clean it I couldn't get this bearing off so I just cleaned it as one piece. Now that I need to change the gears I need to get this bearing off the old gear. Is there something I'm missing on removing this bearing or should it come off more easily.

2012-03-26 23.36.45.jpg2012-03-26 23.37.04.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: LU front bearing removal

What's up guys... Just got in a new LU gear set for my 59 18hp Johnson. Clutch dog should be here 2marrow. The only thing stopping me from putting it back together is the front bearing. On the old gear, When I disassembled the LU to clean it I couldn't get this bearing off so I just cleaned it as one piece. Now that I need to change the gears I need to get this bearing off the old gear. Is there something I'm missing on removing this bearing or should it come off more easily.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It should slide right off easy. There may be a bit of "suction" between the flange and gear. Try twisting the parts while pulling them apart. Hopefully, they aren't scored and grooved.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guy... We'll there's diffenatlly somthing up here. I've pulled twisted and pryed in th little slots seen in the pics. Not knowing if it was supossed to come off or not had me not wanting to pry to hard... so now knowing it should slide off i'll put a little more umph into it...thanks FR