Lowrance HDS9 Gen 2 Touch issue

jwilly82ca

Recruit
I have been buying Lowrance products for over 40 years but am frustrated with a current issue.
I have a Lowrance HDS9 Gen 2 Touch installed on my Grady White. Periodically, for no apparent reason, the sonar screen will become filled with red and blue colors (picture), This will last for a couple of minutes and then start to scroll accurately again. Problem occurs in shallow and ocean depths. I sent the unit to Lowrance and they said after 8 hrs bench testing they could not find a problem. They suggested I buy a new transducer. I spent $200 on the transducer and it did not correct the problem. Anyone out there with knowledge of a similar issue and a remedy? ThankHDS9 Gen 2 Touch.jpg

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looks like your loosing or have lost your sonar signal or return. Could be a problem in the pulse generator circuit.

Could be signal saturationp.

How much water are you in?
New or existing installation?

Last edited:

jwilly82ca

Recruit
Thanks for replying... The depth doesn't seem to matter. It can occur in less than 100' or when I stop on a kelp patty in 3,000'. In the latter situation, it used to clearly show bait fish and predators under the kelp. Now, in the latter situation,, it often will display the issue in the picture. Then, suddenly, it will start working properly and the scrolling cleans up regardless of the depth.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for replying... The depth doesn't seem to matter. It can occur in less than 100' or when I stop on a kelp patty in 3,000'. In the latter situation, it used to clearly show bait fish and predators under the kelp. Now, in the latter situation,, it often will display the issue in the picture. Then, suddenly, it will start working properly and the scrolling cleans up regardless of the depth.
Nothing to do with depth….how deep where you when you took the picture?

In manual or auto?
New installation?
Do it with motor and or ignition off?

jwilly82ca

Recruit
Not a new installation. I have been using the unit for a 4 years. I was off shore and in > 1000' feet of water when I took the picture. The issue appears to be triggered when I am under power (speed doesn't seem to matter) and then I run over a suspended bait ball or game fish and then the screen becomes like the picture. As I indicated in initial post, I sent the unit to Lowrance with pictures and a letter explaining the issue. They sent me a form letter stating that they had bench tested it for 8 hours without detecting a problem. Very much appreciate you weighing-in on this!!! I'm retired now so i am a little more vigilant of $ssss to replace the unit!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The issue appears to be triggered when I am under power (speed doesn't seem to matter) and then I run over a suspended bait ball or game fish and then the screen becomes like the picture.
Locally we call that a “false” bottom. Good things come when your depth alarm goes off in 50’ of water ;)

As I indicated in initial post, I sent the unit to Lowrance with pictures and a letter explaining the issue. They sent me a form letter stating that they had bench tested it for 8 hours without detecting a problem.
A bench test means little.
How did they simulate a fish passing under your transducer?

An 8 hour “bench test” will catch overheating components. The chances of catching an “induced” issue is quite low

All software updates done?
Check connector pins on back of unit to make sure none are loose
Can you hear the transducer ticking with the unit on?
Have a solid 12.7 VDC at the power connector at the back of the unit?

Running unit in manual or auto mode?
Try running the unit in manual mode to see what happens.

At this point I got to believe the problems is in the display or graphics driver.

sam am I

Commander
As you have described how the problem randomly comes and goes, I agree with DB, screen looks at bit too spastic to be anything normal, it's the unit having internal issues.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not a new installation. I have been using the unit for a 4 years. I was off shore and in > 1000' feet of water when I took the picture.
Looking in to it a bit more, it looks like your units is only 500W

What water depths and transducer are you running?

Mfg. depth claims are widely exaggerated and typically punctuated with lots of small print.

Not getting anywhere close to 1,000 feet with a 500W unit

Last edited:

jwilly82ca

Recruit
software is up to date and I do operate the unit in "auto" mode. 100% of my use of the unit is in the Pacific Ocean off the southern CA coast. When targeting migratory fish like Tuna, the sonar function is invaluable in finding feeding fish under floating kelp and bait balls. Prior to this issue, the screen would remain clear (white) and I could spot suspended fish and bait and fish accordingly. this generally occurs in the water column between the surface and 200'. I will try switching to manual mode on my next outing this coming weekend. However, based on your input, it logically points to something in the circuitry, software or firmware. I will need to source a repair service locally in hopes that it can be cost effectively repaired. I spent $350 with Lowrance (bench test, shipping and insurance + new transducer they recommended i buy) so I won't be sending the unit back to them.
Thanks again for taking the time to provide your technical input. Stay safe!
Jim Williams

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
However, based on your input, it logically points to something in the circuitry, software or firmware. I will need to source a repair service locally in hopes that it can be cost effectively repaired.
Your comment about spending $200 for a new transducer caught my attention. Got me digging into the specifics of the unit in question.

Your unit is a bit under powered (500W, conventional) for the conditions you describe.

How deep is the water your fishing?
What transducer are you running?
What frequency are you using at depth?

Repair wise, everything (electronics) is surface mount anymore. Can’t be “repaired” per say. Everything is replace to repair.