Lowrance 1600 GPS

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice
I Have decided to not go with the fishfinder/GPS combo. I am now looking at the Lowrance 1600 GPS, anyone have or had any experience with this unit??

18rabbit

Captain
Re: Lowrance 1600 GPS

Don’t know if you are interested in this but the current issue of Powerboat Reports evaluates the Si-Tex Dynamic Duo vs. the Garman 188C. Not the brands you are interested in but has some food for thought anyway.<br /><br />“Chartplotter/sounder combo units take up less console space and usually cost less than separate pieces. But if the combo breaks down, you’ve lost two important instruments at once. Not good.”<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />“In our opinion, performance differences are minimal. The Garmin does this a little better, and the Si-Tex duo does that a little better. The real question: Do you have enough console space to install two large screens—and do you need them? If you answer yes to both questions, you’re probably a serious fisherman with a large console and we’d suggest the Dynamic Duo. The pair is our top pick for those needing a dedicated sounder. If you don’t have the space or just aren’t that serious about fishing, then stick with the Garmin. It’s a good machine. “<br /><br /> http://www.powerboat-reports.com/

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Well, I am not a real serious or experienced fisherman, I do all of my boating on fresh water (Flaming Gorge Utah). I have plenty of space for two units. I can get the Lowrance 1600GPS for around $279 and the Eagle 480df for $239. I have never used a fishfinder or GPS before. Would I be wasting my money on these two units? Thank you all on your expertise :)

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Ok not alot of response on the Lowrance 1600GPS. I have since started looking at the Garmin 176C, Cabelas has this unit for $599 and then you get a $100 mail in rebate, so now its at $499. I will most likely go with the eagle 480 single frequency fish finder, hopefully this will be a good setup. What do ya think?

Boatist

Rear Admiral

John<br />I love Lowrance, Garmin, Furuno but I never herd of a lowrance 1600. I do not see it on their web site or any of there sales flyers for the last five years. Where did you find info on the GPS1600?<br /><br />The Garmin 176 I think more of as hwy unit or a hiking unit. If you want something portable then the 176 is a good unit with a built in antenna. It has pacific hwy maps or atlantic hwy maps. Runs on 4 AA batteries. I not sure it comes with a marine map. I do not think it has any aids to navigation like the GPSMAP 76 units do. Screen size 2.27 by 3.02.<br /><br />If I were looking for a fixed GPS for a boat and did not plan to use it hiking then I would Go with a Garmin 152, 162, or 182.<br />The 152 has a little larger screen 2.3 by 3.5 and does come with the marine navigation aids and base marine chart. It runs on a 12 volt battery and you can get it with a built in anttena or remote antenna. It list price is $388.<br />The 182 has a much larger screen 5.5 inches or 4.61 by 3.07. It does come with a world wide marine map. Runs on 12 volts battery. List price is the same as the 176 $571 but do not know about rebates. It also comes with a built in or remote antenna.<br /><br />Eagle 480 can mean one of 5 units, seacharter 480DF, Sea Finder 480DF, Fish Elite 480, Fishmark 480, Intellimap 480. Since you are talking Single frequency I going to assume you are talking about the Fishmark 480. I think it is a good unit for fresh water down to about 300 feet with the standard 20 degree transducer. In your eariler post you said down to 500 feet. I do not think you will see fish that deep with the standard transducer but should see bottom.

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

I saw the Lowrance1600 0n the Cabelas web site. I am now looking at the Garmin 250C fishfinder rather than the Eagle 480. I have heard that a color fishfinder is more useful than a color GPS. What are you thoughts? BTW thanks for the info on the garmin 176C, I will keep looking.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

John<br />I like the Garmin 250C very much. It is new and software not ready yet. No detail spec yet either.<br />It does have 500 watts RMS power so good there. The color units actually give you no more information but so much eaiser to see that I think well worth the extra cost. You can see from either side, standing up or sitting down or even from the back. Since it has 16 colors instead of shades of gray it makes it eaiser to tell the difference from a hard bottom or soft bottom, a big rock, soft mud, or a pile of brush. I also like that it has depth control gain which means it will automaticly adjusted sensitivity higher for deeper water. Most people never set the sensitivy high enough to see deep fish.<br /><br />Only thing I see that could be a problem is resolution if you really plan to fish 500 feet deep. 500 feet times 12 = 6000 inches, with a resoultion of 320 each pixel = 18 and 3/4 inches, with times 4 zoom each pixel still = 4.7 inches. I normaly say to see a fish you need at least 2 pixels covered, so fish would need to be 9.4 inches high to be seen, that a big fish. That is a very big fish. From my view I know of no fresh water fish where you would fish that deep. Since it is a new unit realese could be delayed. Software not out yet either. A new unit will often go thru a number of software versions before they get all the bugs out. Still Garmin software updates free and you can do it from your home pc. I trust Garmin support more than Lowrance. I have upgraded my GPSMAP 76 3 times since I got the unit home. The updates changed it from 500 waypoints to 1000 and fixed about 100 bugs none of which I ever encountered.

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the great info. I have been looking at alot of different units, and still have not decided on one inparticular yet. I have heard nothing but good things about Lowrance. What would be comprable to the Garmin 250C in the Lowrance line? Thanks again.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

John<br />Garmin 250C would compare to the new X105c df.<br />Resoultion 320 history 240, same power, Price in the $550 range. This is a very close match.<br /><br />One thing if you do not already know is you can down load a product emulator for free from lowrance to you pc. Then you can use your mouse to hit the buttons on depth finder and see how everything works. Also can download the complete owners manual.<br /><br /> http://www.lowrance.com/Software/PCSoftware/demos.asp

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for all the info. You have steered me in the right direction. I am posting a new topic "Lowrance X-105C df VS. Garmin 250C" Hope to see you post on that topic.