Lower Unit

cspen

Cadet
I have a 1986 150 S/N A943153 Mariner outboard that shifts good and runs ok.My question is when I remove the boat from the water, while installing the motor support I have noticed that the output shaft area of the foot is very warm.I have changed the oil in the foot and checked for metal shavings[none found].I have had this boat for many years and just don't recall the foot being warm in the past.I have not made a habit of checking this in the past but now it has my attention.Is the exhaust gas heating it up or should I disassemble the unit for a better look.There seems to be no problem or noise just seems a little warmer than I would expect.
Thanks Chris

sport15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Lower Unit

Chris,
What is the water temp that you are running in? I had a guy ask me once "why is my 653 GM was running colder than it did this summer is my thermostat stuck?"... It was late October and the water temp had dropped 15 degrees... Warm lower units are ok, hot ones are not. If the oil is clean, no metal and water free, that means that the unit is still tight and water and exhaust are staying out.
It is a real kick in the shorts when you notice something like that isn't it? It freaks me out every time. In the flying business we call it "night Vibes". (everything gets louder and shakes more at night promting many a whatwazzat ??!!)

cspen

Cadet
Re: Lower Unit

Sport15
The water temp is 85 degrees F.I sure hate those night vibes. I've had good service with this motor,other than a very poor idle that I have learned to live with.I think this unit is a little warmer than what it should be.It would probably pay me to tear it down and inspect.I fish year round at night on several lakes.The middle of a cold winter night several miles from the boat landing is no place to realize the foot is trashed especially after the warnings that it is giving me.I have never done this but from the manual this seems pretty staight forward.Are there any tips that you can give me?Anything that will cause problems during the teardown?
Thanks Chris