Lower Unit water leak

aesgator

Seaman
I just put on a new lower unit on my 84 60hp johnson. It came pressure tested, new water pump, and lubed up, ready to bolt on and go. Got it home and put it on, and it wasn't peeing as hard as normal and water was leaking between the foot and housing. Took it back off, compared to my old lower unit and it was missing a bracket that went on top of the pump and the grommet. Put those on and its peeing just as hard as ever but its still leaking water between the foot and the housing. My question is what could be causing this much water to be leaking in there, as well as there appears to be no seal besides the exhaust gasket between the foot and the housing, so what keep water from coming in when the foot is in the water. Thanks for the help.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Lower Unit water leak

perfectly normal, they put a sealer on at the factory, and paint. but afterwards it is normal for them to leak. the water is excess water the power head does not take.

aesgator

Seaman
Re: Lower Unit water leak

Appreciate your help Tashdaddy. Its just after all this money spent I get a little nervous.