lower unit stuck

wadman

Cadet
Hello people,need some help here I have a 1990 Evinrude 25 hp.I hadnt ran it in 2 years ,last weekend decided to start her up and exercise her a bit.I mixed up a gallon of fresh gas and started her up she was a bit stubborn but did start with quite a bit of smoke.She was running ruff for about 20 to 30 seconds and i did not see any water coming from the pisser so i cut her off,i re-adjusted the water muffs and started it again,ran for about 20 seconds still no water.I decided the waterpump must be shot.I have replaced the pump on this motor before,probably around ten years ago.So i began to remove the lower unit to do the job but it will not drop down all the bolts are out and the shift linkage seperated I can rotate the prop side of the l/u left to right slightly but the joint has not seperated at all,im not sure but i think the drive shaft may be stuck/corroded to the crank.Any idea's on breaking this loose would be greatly appreciated.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: lower unit stuck

I will pretty much guarantee that your water pump is shot ;)

If in fact you have gotten to all the bolts, 7 I believe?, and disconnected the shift rod, your splines may have in fact rusted. You may need wedges to split it apart. On reinstallation dont forget the new o ring and marine grease on the splines.

Also flush that cooling system well, Im sure all types of critters have gotten in there and nested, which will restrict your water flow, causing overheating conditions.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Make certain you have all the bolts out, there is one under the trim tab I am pretty sure, being under there and recessed it is easy to miss.
Do you have a manual?
If it has been 10 years you definately need to change it anyhow but just for kicks pull the pee hole out of the engine casing and be sure that it isn't plugged, mine does that all the time,so just because it isn't peeing doesn't mean it isn't pumping.
If all the bolts are out I would tap it with a plastic hammer but no more than that, cast is pretty easy to crack.

wadman

Cadet

thanks for the replies, i do have a manual, on this model VE25RESB there is only 4 bolts 2 on each side and a stud in the front,my shift linkage is seperated. I did try some wood wedges, and the rear of the l/u will spread about an 1/8" but the front does not budge.I currently have it inverted and spraying assloads of PB Blaster in two 3/8" holes located about half way up the mid section in hopes that some will make it to the shaft/crank connection.

-Lee

Last edited:

Benny1963

Lieutenant

try prying equaly all the way around dont give up took me forever
bennyb

jameskb2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the replies, i do have a manual, on this model VE25RESB there is only 4 bolts 2 on each side and a stud in the front,my shift linkage is seperated. I did try some wood wedges, and the rear of the l/u will spread about an 1/8" but the front does not budge.I currently have it inverted and spraying assloads of PB Blaster in two 3/8" holes located about half way up the mid section in hopes that some will make it to the shaft/crank connection.

-Lee

If you have it inverted, and the rear has a crack that large, put the tube on the can of PB and with a flashlight, squirt it on the shaft. Then you'll be sure you're running it down and into / onto the spline joint. Be patient, a squirt before work, and one when you get home. Keep increasing pressure SLOWLY with the shims, moving them in a little each time. Couple of days she'll work free.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

While you have the shims in, keep rotating the flywheel.

wadman

Cadet

Thanks for the help all,I'll keep spraying,wedgeing and tapping and hope she
breaks loose .I'll let you know how it ends up.

wadman

Cadet

well i finally got that lower off, took me almost a month of spraying ,wedging and tapping but she finally dropped.I almost scrapped the thing a half a dozen times but paitience prevailed